Thursday, October 25, 2012

good parenting advice from 1958

 my little thinker this morning at breakfast

 "Christian Family Living" by Hazen G Werner, c. 1958

I started reading this amazing book last night. God has really used it to challenge me in the way I love my children. Here's one of my favorite passages, taken from Chapter 5:

"The important thing is to love this child of yours because he is yours. You love Johnny not because he knows all the answers, not because he plays the clarinet well, not because he is getting good marks, or has an unusual vocabulary. You love him because he is Johnny. You love him for himself and because he is yours. In all the world there is no security that can compare with that. With a love like that comes a sense of belonging, of being needed, of being sufficient. That's how a child grows up to be a sound, mature person."

 me and my sweet Leo

*********************************************


Reading that passage this morning also reminded me of this song:

5 comments:

  1. Love this Lora! Such a good reminder. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has been my FAVORITE song since I heard it the first time!
    I actually cried, especially on the last verse as it shows what a great, loving and forgiving God we have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I've only commented a few times, but I wanted to let you know that the songs that you share always touch me. You expose me to so many different artists that I would never Have now. The messages that they share through their songs, are somehow the messages my heart needs to hear. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet, and such the cutest photos!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin