Wednesday, October 24, 2012

antique keys

I found this amazing lot of antique keys - there's 60 in all. I got the box in the mail the other day, and was so excited to go through them all - they are so unique and have so much character!  I love how some of them are on an old piece of rope, on big rusty keychains, and old ball chains. 

Since I had kind of a lazy day yesterday because I was sick, I spent the morning cleaning all the keys.  It's quite a long process of soaking and brushing and more soaking.

Here they all are soaking in a bowl of vinegar.

After they soaked in vinegar for about an hour, I then brushed each one with a toothbrush and washed off in warm, soapy water.

Then, I brushed them again with silver polish cream. And did a final vinegar soak.
Followed by rinsing in soapy water. I told ya - it's quite a process!

Here they all are, drying on a towel. Don't they look all shiny and clean? :)

As soon as they were dry, I stamped one and used it to make a special necklace for a friend.  I asked the Lord for a word of encouragement for her, and I heard Him say "open your hands". She's been asking Him lately for more creativity in her life. She's been stepping out with some creative ideas that are "God-sized". And I was super excited to make this for her! (I also sang the song "Open My Hands, Open My Heart" by Sara Groves as I was making it)

This is the other side :) 
CREATE.

And late last night, I strung several interesting keys on some suede leather cord I got the other day. I made this one for myself. This old key already had the number 7 stamped on it. I knew it was for me! 7 has always been my favorite number. And 7 is kinda a big deal in my life right now. 

There are 7 of us in my family. (Clint, me, and our 5 kiddos) 
And we are in our 7th year of being here. 
And on the 7th day, God rested.
I feel like He is bringing me into a new season of resting in Him.

So, as I wear this simple little key, I am praying that it serves as a reminder for me to focus on my little family of 7, as well as being deliberate of staying in a state of rest on a day to day basis. 


 

3 comments:

  1. I really admire the way God has wired creativity in you . . . your eye for beauty and desire to encourage others.
    Glad you're remembering to rest in Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lora, your heart is so amazing. How you make such wonderful things for the people you love.

    What a great find too!! Keys are so special... so many hands, opening doors, keeping things safe, creating milestones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful keys, and I adore the necklaces!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin