Monday, June 11, 2012

tea cakes, vintage plates, and little blue Legos

We had a lazy Sunday yesterday. It was a nice family day. I wanted something sweet, and didn't have a lot of ingredients on hand in the house. I was able to find a great little tea cake recipe on allrecipes.com that didn't use many ingredients. The cookies turned out really good!!  Perfect for afternoon tea time!

Isn't my new little vintage plate cute

I found it at the thrift store a few weeks ago when Clint and I were on a date. 
(Yes, he takes me thrift shopping on our dates sometimes. 
I love that man... He knows the way to my heart!)


Tea Cakes

Ingredients

2 eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

(I cut the recipe in half because I didn't have enough flour. 
I also added a splash of vanilla extract and about a TBSP of milk.)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Mix shortening and sugar well. Add eggs. Mix dry ingredients together and add to shortening mixture until dough is stiff and doesn't seem sticky (you may not need to add all of the flour). 
Roll out on a floured board. Cut into shapes. Decorate with sprinkles or colored sugar. Re-roll trimmings and cut into shapes until all of the dough has been used.
(I didn't want to roll out the dough, so I just took a bit of dough in my hands, made a little ball, and then flattened the ball on the cookie sheet with my hand. That worked fine.)
Bake on lightly greased cookie sheets for 8 to 9 minutes.

************************************

My lovely tea cake and coffee break yesterday afternoon really brightened my day. I sat there alone in my dining room (while the children ran all around in the living room next to me), slowly nibbling the little cookies and sipping my hot drink. It was a deliberate attempt on my part to have some quality "me time".

I've had a rough past couple of days. My exercising has not been the most consistent and I've discovered during my "50 Days to a Healthier Me" that when I skip a day (or two), I can totally tell. In my mind/emotions, that is. So, I've been kinda weepy lately.  I did force myself to workout yesterday and as soon as the sweat started coming, I started feeling my mood change. It's really quite astounding to me how physical activity and mental health are so connected! 

Today is our first official day of summer break. Ruth is still going to her preschool, so I've got a house full of boys this morning. I am surrounded by Legos, transformers, and superheros! Speaking of Legos, I successfully and singlehandedly fixed my broken garbage disposal last night! I was so proud of myself. And guess what was stuck in the flywheel? A little blue Lego. Yep, that's my life these days. :)

Hope y'all have a great week!



(linking up here:)

bits of splendor monday

4 comments:

  1. It is amazing how much exercise makes us feel. It is just the getting started that causes the most trouble, at least for me. Love that plate and that your dates include a trip to the thrift store - that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new plate is beautiful! Yay for teatime! So glad you got that little time 'alone'- we take it wherever we can get it, right?
    And I am SO impressed you fixed your disposal! - a leggo, huh? Kids! . . . what do you do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, that is impressive. I would never be able to figure out how to fix my disposal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, think it's "quite astounding... how physical activity and mental health are so connected!" I am SO glad I've finally figured it out... & you have, too! Keep up the good work, girlfriend. I'm proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin