Monday, June 4, 2012

fruits of the summer

One of my favorite things about summer is the fresh fruit. There's a little farmer's market shop just around the corner from me that sells the most delicious peaches each summer that are picked from trees less than 10 minutes away from my house. There really is nothing like a fresh peach. Seriously, sooo good.  And every summer, that same farmer's stand makes ice cream with those peaches, too. They serve it in little dixie cups for only a dollar. It's such a treat on a hot summer day! In fact, Benjamin and Leo and I went through our change yesterday afternoon and found enough for the three of us to run down to the market to get ourselves a cup each. (And Benjamin took his own dollar to buy one for daddy! so cute...)

Then, later on that evening, my sweet friend Susanna gave me some delicious wild blackberries that she and her girls had picked the day before. I decided to make some cobbler with some of the berries last night. It turned out so good!!!




I thought y'all might like to see the recipe I used in case you want to make it, too! (And I'm sure you could substitute other fruit, like strawberries, blueberries, or peaches, if you don't have any blackberries)

Blackberry Cobbler


Ingredients

1/2 cup butter
2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups sugar
2 cups milk
3 1/2 cups blackberries

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Once oven temperature is reached melt butter in a 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a medium bowl stir together the flour, sugar and milk; batter will be slightly lumpy. Pour mixture on top of melted butter in baking pan. Do not mix butter and mixture together.
Drop blackberries into batter; if more crust is desired add less blackberries. Bake in preheated oven for one hour or until golden brown.


Let me know if you make it (& if you tried it with another fruit). I'd love to hear how it turned out!

******************************************

I'm thankful to God for these little things like fresh fruit and friends who share the bounty. The older I get, the more I realize that it's in the littlest, simplest things, that I can find the most joy and fulfillment. God is not complicated. He longs to speak to me in the little things. In the fruit on the trees, in the smile on my children's faces, in the sweet taste of blackberry cobbler. :)


So, what's one of your favorite things about summer?


           (linking up with:)
bits of splendor monday

2 comments:

  1. That peach ice cream sounds amazing!
    There are so many things I love about summer . . . berry picking, roasting marshmallows at our firepit, gardening, the sun up early . . . I could go on and on! Biggest thing though? No school! Being a homeschooling mama that is the biggie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks divine, thank you for the recipe! and I like your new header:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin