Tuesday, May 15, 2012

it's personal

I like to surround myself with things that remind me of sweet memories of family and friends. Since I am in my home most of the time, it's important to me to have things around me that evoke happy, nostalgic feelings. That's probably one of the reasons I really love decorating with vintage treasures.

Clint watched the children on Mother's Day so I could escape for a bit and have some time alone. And you guessed it - I went and did my favorite thing: thrift shopping! My favorite find of the day was a little vintage metal owl. The buttery yellow paint has come off in some places, especially the beak. But, I love it. It now has a place on top of my printer. I sit in front of my computer a lot throughout the day, and I knew this would be the perfect spot for my new little friend.


The owl sits in front of two special cards. The one on the left is the sweet card Clint gave me for Mother's Day. And the one on the right is a little antique postcard that my friend Jenniffer sent me. It says "Christ is Risen". To me, that statement is a wonderful reminder of what Jesus has done for me and that I am free in Him!

And every time I look at this little owl, I am reminded of a little children's song:

Oh, be careful little eyes, what you see, 
Oh, be careful little eyes, what you see,
For the Father up above,
is looking down in love,
So be careful little eyes
What you see.


That's why I put the owl right next to my computer screen.
To serve as a reminder to only look at things on my computer that are good for me and my spirit.

**********************************

I am thankful for the way that my Heavenly Father speaks to my heart. I am so glad that He seeks me out in such a personal way. Like how He put that little metal owl on the shelf at the thrift store just for me. He knows how much I love old things. And He is so kind and sweet to speak to me in ways that He knows I will respond to. I really love that about Him!

He is a personal God. And He wants to have a personal relationship with me. :)

(and you, too!)

How does He speak personally to you? I'd love to know!





(linking up with:)



4 comments:

  1. I think your little owl may have been an earring holder at one time. I used to have one sort of like this in hot pink. Wish I still had it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That owl is so cute! I love thrift store shopping. I love finding new little treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lora- I am SO honored that the little postcard I sent you means so much to you! That right there just made my day! :)
    I am just like you . . . love to surround myself with those special gifts. They all come from God, some of them are cards signed by my kids or friends or family, but they are all co-signed "Father God" and a few of those things happen to come from you! :) So glad you got to do some fun thrifting for Mother's Day- your owl is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute earring holder! I have a cat like that and I have had it so long it is vintage too!

    So true about only looking at good things on the computer. I visited a regular blog today and was so dismayed. Had to mark it off my list when I saw the post today.

    Glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

    <><

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin