Monday, May 7, 2012

50 days

I started something pretty big on Friday. I've been feeling led (for a long time actually) to get into better shape physically. I've known that I needed to start exercising, especially after I got my kidney stone in January. But, I've just been dragging my heels. And God's been so patient with me. And kind. But, recently, He spoke to my heart so clearly and challenged me to start something big. With Him as my personal trainer. :)

He gave me a name for it and everything. And a scripture to go with it. (I love how God works with me in ways I respond to. He knows how much I like themes! :) )


So, here I am on Day One, weighing in at 175 pounds (30 pounds more than I weighed before I started having children). This is it, guys. No cropping photos, no strategic poses, etc. etc. to hide the chubbiness. This is me. Just as I am. I took this photo on the first day so I'd have a "before". I'm curious to see what my "after" photo will look like!

With God's help, I am devoting 50 days to getting healthier. I am exercising two times a day (on my beloved treadmill). I am walking, with the goal of working my way up to jogging.


If you know me personally, you know that I am pretty much the least athletic person on the planet. Seriously. I have never worked out consistently. I do not like to sweat. I was never good at sports. I was usually one of the last kids picked for the team in elementary school. I had to walk the mile in middle school, while the other kids ran.

But, just because that is my athletic history, does not mean that it is my future.

Because, guess what? With God, all things are possible!

And He is in the business of making all things NEW.

************************************

Since I started this four days ago, I have noticed a dramatic difference in how I feel. Not so much physically yet (although, I am super sore - my muscles aren't used to be used! haha) But, I can totally tell a difference in how I feel emotionally. I feel much happier. Much more balanced. Much clearer in my head.

And I am so thankful! God knew what I needed, and He has been my biggest cheerleader in this whole thing. As I walk on the treadmill, I can feel his "Adda-girl" pat on the back. And my prayer time has been so awesome. I have been putting my hand on my chest, and speaking blessing and restoration to my body. I've been asking God to change my habits into better ones. I've been asking him to restore to me the years that the locusts have eaten. And I feel hope coming alive in my body. I am excited to get into the best shape that I've ever been in in my life. I know that He will help me accomplish the goals that He has set before me.

And hopefully, after the 50 days, this will become a lifestyle.
I won't have to force myself to get on the treadmill. I will want to get on it.

**************************************

Does anybody wanna join me?

If I can do it, anybody can!!



(linking up with:)

bits of splendor monday

12 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you. I want to do it. We all make excuses. Mine is when Vickie passed away two years ago I started over eating and not exercising. My husband has been the same. His Dad passed away a month after Vickie. They both had cancer. It's like we both gave up.Good luck to you. God is with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go girl!!! I started the couch to 5k on May 1st. We can do this! Mt. 19:26

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been working on getting healthier for a couple of months now. I have a long way to go! You are right ~ God is our help and healer. May He grant us all success in His grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J Jung10:43 AM

    This is AWESOME! You are so inspiring!! Reading your blog is one of the best parts of my day! Thank you Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that verse and I am cheering and praying for you! After this baby is born and I find my feet again, I am making it a priority to take care of me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to your story, Lora. I was 40lbs overweight (175lbs!!)after four kids....after many years (14 years) of trying to diet and lose it, I was able to make a lifestyle change and lose it all.
    That was 6 years ago...right before my spiritual awakening...Now, as I seriously seek the Lord's counsel in every area of my life, I see it all as spiritual. I believe that He wants us to shed all the "self" we can in order to make more room for Him...as John the Baptist said, "I must become less and less and He must become more and more!!"
    He is there to encourage us through all the different parts of life...even weight loss! You are doing it the correct way...seeking His help and giving your time and the glory to Him...He will bless you!

    Adda-girl, Lora!! Great post!!

    p.s. Thanks for being real...it is very, very encouraging to us all. And I agree with J Jung...one of the best parts of my day is reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:25 PM

    I'm so proud of you! You are an inspiration to many and I think you'll see each day gets a little easier. Keep up your hardwork- you won't be disappointed!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! You are awesome. I love that you realize this is not just a physical thing, but a spiritual one too! I pray your 50 days are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a great idea! I can't wait to see your progress! It is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's late here, but I couldn't let the day go without checking in and letting you know how amazing and encouraging it is to see another woman going after God with all her heart- and in this case for her heart and all the rest of her. You are courageous and truly beautiful. I am blessed to count you as a friend! And I am so excited for you in this endeavor. For me, the nudge from God came about six years ago, not in the realm of exercise, (I'm one of the weirdos who actually enjoy it) but in the area of eating well. I was literally making myself sick by eating so poorly and I spent forty days of 'cleansing' and changing my diet- SO hard! SO worthwhile- I've never been healthier. I look back and see those days as a turning point, and I know you'll experience blessings in your journey too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh good for you lora! I can be praying for you along the way if you'd like...

    I'm pulling for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So proud of you :) There's a book I just finished reading that you might be interested in, "The Engine 2 Diet"...it's more about healthier eating through a plant-based diet and weight loss is just a happy side effect. I'm also doing a series on my blog about it, in case you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin