Tuesday, April 17, 2012

my flour vase & a few other blessings

While I was at Clint's parents a few weeks ago, Diane took me thrift shopping. (She loves thrifting, too!) I found an amazing vintage flour jar (minus the lid). The color is so gorgeous, and I love the retro details. It's been sitting in my craft space, aka my dining room. Last night, a dear friend came over and surprised me with a bouquet of flowers for my birthday. And I knew that my flour jar would be the perfect flower vase. (Don't you love the play on words?! :) )


 amazing, right?!



you know what i love most about this picture?
the empty countertop.
(where my dishes are usually drying since I've been hand washing them for the past 6 months)

it's empty because my dad miraculously fixed my dishwasher while he was visiting last week.

i. am. ecstatic.

******************************************

Life has been rough for me lately. Lots of illness this year. Lots of financial difficulties. Emotional struggles. Faith struggles. On and on...

I am thankful to God that in the midst of the chaos right now,
He still surprises me with little blessings to make me smile.

A vintage flour jar.
An unexpected bouquet of flowers.
A fixed dishwasher.

But most of all, friends and family that love and support me.

***************************************

Wanna do something fun today?

Let's all look for someone to bless!

God, please show us a person today that needs a touch from you. Help us hear Your whisper and obey.   Give us a creative idea of how to bless them and encourage them today!  Remind us that we could be the just the thing that they need today to absolutely turn their day around!



(linking up here:)



5 comments:

  1. My mom and I were chatting the other evening about how all have the same struggles...how we need to encourage one another...I have also had the same kind of year you have had, coincidentally. (a few family deaths, health issues, a very difficult rejection from a friend, and the emotional struggles that come with every day life....)
    BUT! I know the Lord is growing me through it all. I have so much evidence of that! And as the growth continues and the victory is celebrated, the attacks become more intense. Here is something I read this morning:

    6 So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. 7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.

    8 Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. 9 Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.~I Peter 5:6-9

    How do we react to those attacks? Do we take our eyes off our Captain and put them on the battle at hand? That has been my biggest mistake. That is when I feel the most defeated. But, our God is so GREAT!! He comes and gives us the strength we need when we are at our weakest....He continues to show us that we are HIS!! And those small blessings are BIG reminders of how much He does love us.

    I'm so glad that your dishwasher has been fixed! I have been there! With a family of six, (and you have seven!!) it can be an all day job to keep the dishes clean and available!
    AND, I LOVE your idea of the "flour" vase! So cool!
    I have someone in mind to bless today...thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great 'flower' vase and bouquet!
    But I agree that a clear counter top is THE BEST of it all! I know exactly what it's like not to have a dishwasher- I spent four years in an 800 sq ft house with no dishwasher and two very young boys. My life was almost literally dishes. Over. And. Over. And we were only a family of four!
    SO happy for you that it is fixed!

    Beautiful reminder to reach out to someone today. Think I'll call my Grandma- I know she's been itching to talk. (and sometimes those conversations take all my patience!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you used this flour canister for flowers!!! get it flour, flower.....;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the flour jar! beautiful. I've been having a hard time lately and I'm not even sure why. I'll be praying for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday,your flour/flower vase is perfect.I think alot of people are struggling with troubles lately (cos the world is in a mess),some are just too proud to mention it.Hope things look up soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin