Saturday, February 25, 2012

homemade applesauce

Clint brought home two big bags of Granny Smith apples the other day. They were on sale at the store. As I was going through the bags, I noticed that several of the apples were bruised and needed to be eaten right away or they'd go bad. So, I had the idea of making a batch of applesauce. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have never made applesauce from scratch before! You'd think at 36 years old, that's something I would've done by now...

Anyway, I really enjoyed making it! And I was surprised at how easy it was. All I had to do was peel the apples, cut them into small pieces, boil them (with a little water), and that's it!

apple pieces boiling

here's a picture of me by the stove.
i had to stand and periodically stir the apples as they boiled so they wouldn't stick to the bottom of the pan.  honestly, i really loved the whole process. it was very relaxing, and that smell! oh my goodness. heaven!!

the final product. yummy!!

my first taste of the applesauce.
so good, y'all...
(and no sugar - just apples! :) )

there's something so awesome about mason jars. 
and i know, i'm a dork. i put a big A for apple on the top of the lid. :)

*******************************************

As I get older, I am learning more and more that the most joy is often found in the simplest pleasures of life. 

God can be found in little tasks like making applesauce. 
We don't have to look hard for Him. 
He's always around, wanting to be in the midst of our mundane.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't make applesauce until over 2 years ago when a neighbor had an abundance of apples falling from her trees and onto her lawn. We picked about 150 lbs of apples and then spent the next 3 days making apple filling and apple sauce to can.

    Have you ever seen a 5 gallon bucket of applesauce? I have! That was the first time I made it too, and I was 42. We also made about 50 quarts of pie filling.

    There is just something about being able to "make your own" that is deeply satisfying. There is also something about to making use of things would otherwise go to waste.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane8:48 PM

    Looks yummy ! !

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin