Tuesday, February 21, 2012

free to be ME

This past Saturday, I had the opportunity to go to an all day women's event at my church featuring an amazing woman named Christine Potter. Her husband is Don Potter, an incredible worship leader that I have been very blessed by over the years.

My dear hubby watched the children all day so I could go to this women's event. It was really life changing for me. Very freeing.  When I got home, my husband told me that I looked different. That my countenance had changed! And I don't doubt it, because I got really touched by God.


I've been trying to process all that God did in my heart, but to be honest, it's been hard to really articulate it all into words. How do you put a work of God in your spirit into a nice little package, you know? 

But, I will share with you the heart of the matter. The main truth that Christine imparted to us all that day:

Stop trying to be what you're not, 
what you think you should be. 

Be who you are

She started out her talk with this:

"I'm getting over being serious about myself. 
Tired of trying to be who I think I should be."

I know it seems kind of simple, but man
God used that little truth to completely set me free.

I realized that most of the time when I wind up feeling frustrated, discouraged, unhappy, it's because I am trying to be who I think I should be, not just simply being who I am. (Who God created me to be!)

I think as women, especially in this age of the internet (blogging, twitter, facebook, etc), we can get really caught up in what everyone else is doing that we lose sight of who we are as individuals. 

We spend too much time comparing ourselves to eachother. 

And that only leads to feeling of inadequacy...

And on Saturday, when this beautiful woman with curly white hair, spoke into my heart that its OK to be myself, my spirit woke up and jumped for joy.

I don't have to be anybody else than little ole me.

And God wants me to embrace who I am. He wants me to let go of the unrealistic expectations that I have placed on myself of who I should be, and just flow in the Spirit, allowing Him to use me as I am. 

He's put unique giftings and talents inside each one of us.
He wants us to embrace who we are in Him, so He can use us!!

So, today, my heart's cry is,

"Help me to love myself as You love me, God.
I want to be free.
Free to be ME!
And nobody else.
Because You created me, just as I am.
And you've got a job for me to do
That nobody else on earth can do but me!"

*************************************
So, my friends - be free!!
Look at yourself in the mirror today.
And embrace who God made you to be!
You don't have to be like anybody else. 
You are fearfully and wonderfully made!!
Just as you are.


(linking up with:)


8 comments:

  1. Hi Lora-
    Such good things you shared!
    My quote for today from the little book you gave me reminds me of this, too:

    "Instead of seeking happiness by going out of our place, our skill should be to find it where we are."- Henry Ward Beecher

    And as you were saying, in WHO we have been created to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as you are - what wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post...wonderful message...authentic and true...your newest follower...from Call Me Blessed link up...

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!...when we are walking in this truth His glory is truly revealed...so freeing to let go of everything else:) thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great word. Thanks so much for sharing, I needed to hear that today. Stopping over via the blog hop! So nice to meet you! I'm a new follower.

    Lindsey
    outofalabaster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad I found your blog on the blog hop. I'm a new follower on GFC. I would love it you stopped by and followed back so we can stay connected. Lori http://www.bleak2unique.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of the verse 2 Cor. 3:17. I too have recently experienced that amazing freedom to JUST BE ME. It is life changing and an amazing gift to live out in our lives for our families, as well. Visiting from Call Me Blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an encouraging post!! So glad you were able to be rejuvenated in this way!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin