Monday, January 9, 2012

evidence

This morning, I put my shoes on to take the trash out to the curb, and heard a crunch. There were cheerios in my left shoe. I had to chuckle. And, then God started speaking to my heart (like He often does, when it comes to experiences I have with my children).

ev·i·dence
[ev-i-duhns]  noun
1. that which tends to prove or disprove something; ground for belief; proof.
2. something that makes plain or clear; an indication or sign:
3. data presented to a court or jury in proof of the facts in issue and which may include the testimony of witnesses, records, documents, or objects. 

I heard that word clear as day. EVIDENCE. And then, I started to walk around my house with my camera in hand, searching, like a detective, for evidence. Proof of my children in my home. And, I found many things. Some might say, I found a mess. But, it's all in your perspective, I think. 

I found signs of happy, creative, inquisitive, intelligent children.

cheerios in my shoe

spools of thread taken out of the drawer, ready to be put into bowls

books that have been read and left on the couch

rescue heroes in a basket, put up high so "the babies" don't get them

a giant bunny in a stroller, carefully "buckled in"

pillows and blankies on the (marker-decorated) couch with the slipcover taken off

another marker-decorated piece of furniture, complete with a random spoon

About a month ago, I was walking the three youngest children to church. And I ran into my pastor's wife (who has five grown children). She smiled at me, pushing that big ole' double stroller, hair falling in my face, as I struggled to get it up a hill. 

I asked her, "How did you do it? How did you survive?" And she spoke something so profound to me that I don't think I'll ever forget. She said,  

"You may not think so, but one day, not too far from now,  
you're going to miss the crazy."

I know that soon my children will be grown and out of the house. My living room will be clean. There will be no marker decorations on my couches and tabletops. There will be no toys on the floor. There will certainly be no cheerios in my left shoe.  

And I will miss it. I will miss the mess. I will miss the crazy.

So, today I am trying to keep that thought always in the front of my mind. 
I am embracing the crazy. 
I am embracing the mess.
I am embracing this season with my five little children.

And I am praising God every day for giving me the privelege to raising them up.

So, my challenge to y'all today is - go look for "the evidence" in your home of your children. And then, find the beauty in it. Find the loveliness in it. 



(linking up here:)

13 comments:

  1. Gosh, I love this lora. So thankful for all the evidence in my home too b/c I know that day will come when we will miss it. You are the sweetest. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this lora!
    i dont have kids but this made me teary eyed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how right your pastor's wife was when she made that statement! ! Much, much too soon they are gone leaving your home much too quiet. Cherish the crazy moments...each one a gift from God. And in the meantime, He gives you these thoughts that you can share with your friends...and thanks for sharing with this grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I look back, the memories seem to cover only the blink of an eye. You are so wise to savor every moment! Grandma Diane is right.
    Love,
    Grandma Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:11 PM

    This rings a bell for me at the moment. I'm a mum of a three-year-old and another on the way and I loved to read your perpective on the "mess" and "craziness." Thanks for sharing. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so needed to hear that. Sometimes the crazy is so mundane that boredom takes over. But your right, one day I will miss the crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!
    I think I actually HEAR the evidence of my kids the most: the sound of bickering, video game music, the shower running AGAIN, the crunching of non-stop food, the heavy sighs over homework . . . I'm grateful that we aren't yet to the sound of my car driving off! But that will be here much too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:06 AM

    this is my favorite post ever. and she is right. btw, i was wearing one of your necklaces tonight, received a compliment and it made me smile and miss you. you have a beautiful heart, and are a wonderful mom!

    love, kitsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. boy oh boy do I love this post! you have your hands full and the hardest job on earth, and you looked around your house for evidence of beauty and joy and you found it! What a blessing it all is, ....and to stay somewhat sane, I can't imagine raising 5 children, being married and owning a home, and doing everything else all in between, i commend you Lora...and i commend your perspective...

    my daughter will be 17 on sunday, and more and more i am thinking i can see why it's time that they leave the next at 18, b.c i'm almost there, i'm almost ready...she is literally an adult just about, and it's evident. it's evident that there are lots of changes in our relationship and i'm having to make a shift on how i approach it all, but i know it's beautiful, and it's a refining process for us...anyway, another time for that to talk about, but i enjoyed your sweet post, too funny too about the cherio!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lora, this is a truly lovely post. It made me smile. And yes, there is evidence of children in my house too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this. I really needed this today, the day that we are having company over for the first time, and am faced with the daunting task of cleaning up the house to make it look presentable! Now, to stop procrastinating and off to tackle the job. And to remember to be greatful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your pastor's wife's words were truly golden. So true. I'm there now. Enjoy the evidence :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I am reading this on Saturday, late morning, I realize you have changed the perspective of my day! It is up to me to change the outcome. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin