Monday, January 23, 2012

comfort food

Today is my first full day alone, without help, since I got my kidney stone eight days ago. I am still in quite a bit of pain, mostly when I am standing/walking around. I am pretty sure that part or all of the stone has passed, or is at the very least hanging around in my bladder. Most of the pain/discomfort I am experiencing at this point is from the stent inside me. It makes getting around pretty difficult. But, I am making it. I just have to go really slow and take extra care.

Last night, Clint had to go to work around 4:30p. I gotta admit- I was nervous about handling all of the children by myself. And I was especially nervous about making them dinner and putting them all to bed. Around 5:30p, a woman from my bible study called me and asked if she could come over and help me out. She was such an answer to prayer! She came over around 6p and fixed dinner for the kids, did the dishes, played with the kids, and then put them all to bed! It was such a blessing.

This morning, Clint had to get all of the kids ready for school by himself. I felt bad, because normally, I help him out and make sure they're all dressed/fed, lunches made, etc... But, he let me sleep in today and did it all himself so I could rest. Such a sweetie...

So, this morning, I had to get creative taking Robby down the stairs. (It's pretty hard for me to lift him for long periods of time.) So, I held him on my lap and we scooted down the stairs, one step at a time, on my bottom. It was actually kind of comical. But, it worked! And I felt a lot more comfortable going down the stairs that way, than carrying him down on foot.

I thought heating up some of Grandmama's sweet potato casserole for breakfast would do just the trick for making my morning more lovely. (My mother in law made a big batch of it while she was here this past week.) It's amazing what a yummy plate of comfort food can do for your spirit! I wanted to share the recipe with y'all, too. It is so delicious!

heaven on a plate


Sweet Potato Casserole

4 cups cooked sweet potatoes
(Baked potatoes are best but may use canned ones)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter
3 eggs.....beaten
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsps. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Topping

2 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes or bran flakes cereal.....
(could also use other cereal such as Special K, Wheat Chex, etc.)
Measure cereal before crushing.
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 Tb. brown sugar
2 Tb. melted butter

Mash sweet potatoes. Add all other ingredients in order given. Mix with electric mixer or by hand. Pour into a 13 x 9 baking dish. If you don't want to make this much, you could half the recipe and use an 11 x 7 or similar size dish.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove dish from oven and add topping. Bake additional 10 minutes.

cafe francais in my favorite mug, my bible, 
and the book clint and i are reading together...

I hope y'all have a wonderful week! I would really appreciate your prayers for me this week that I would have extra grace and strength to take care of the kiddos on my own. I am getting a big x ray on Wednesday to determine how much of the stone is left, so they can decide if I need another surgery that is tentatively scheduled for this Friday. So, this week is a big one!

Thank you so much!!


(linking up here)

7 comments:

  1. Our Lord is so kind. When I heard about your Bible study friend coming to help, I teared up. I had been asking the Lord to lay that on someone's heart. How quickly He answered!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all what is cafe francais???

    and second of all, that recipe looks divine,
    and third of all so glad to hear you are on the mend!
    I know all too well of these challenges, hang in there and
    i know you are clinging to our good Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone! You are covered from head to toe in His Presence and in our prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May the Lord provide all you need today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh sweetie! I am still praying for you! and the whole stairs... I would have done the exact.same.thing ;) sending you strength and comfort wrapped in angels wings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you, Lora. He is merciful, faithful and kind...May He anoint you this week with all that you need and more!

    <3 Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Hi, I have never been on your blog before.....but God has a reason for me stumbling onto here. I had a kidney stone the size of a jelly bean and my entire left kidney blocked, ten years ago. To make matters worse I was pregnant and they could not blast the stone. So they put a stent in me which I had to keep for 13 weeks.....not even safe. They recommend them changed or out after 8 weeks. But they did not want to do this because of the pregnancy. I went to a holistic doctor inbetween time and he told me how to get rid of it, I told my Urologist and he laughed at me and my husband. But I figured what would it hurt?? So I did the concoction and when they went in to surgery to remove everything and blast the stone (had to wait until after the birth--which they took him C-section at 32 weeks and he only weighed 2# 6oz "from the trauma" they said) it was gone. The urologist said there was no way it had passed because of the size and I had the stent. He had no idea where it had gone!! Anyways, if you are interested email me at cherishedroses@hotmail.com and I will tell you what I did. We have told this concotion to my 2nd cousin and it worked for him, My pastors son--worked also for him and another man at our church. Just let me know, Jodi

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin