Friday, December 2, 2011

the bits and bobs

I had fun last night creating some jewelry with the leftover scraps I've been collecting from all of the custom necklaces I've been making lately. I've got lots of little bits of silver and copper shavings, small pieces of chain in various lengths, and tons of teeny tiny beads that I've salvaged from vintage jewelry that I've taken apart to repurpose.


Charlotte inspired me to make something different from what I normally make - one single earring. She's got quite a unique style and often wears only one long earring. It always looks so cool on her - sometimes she even puts two separate earrings in her ears. She definitely thinks outside of the box. And it works!

I was thinking all about new life when I was making this earring.


I had this sliver of sterling silver that I'd been saving, and decided last night to stamp little leaves down it. I did not darken them, like I usually do, and I love the result. (I almost threw this little bit of sterling out initially, because I thought I couldn't use it for anything - boy, am I glad I saved it!)


Then, I attached three uneven pieces of chain to the bottom(and let me tell you, it took everything in me not to make the three pieces of chain all the same length!! haha)Then, I finished it off with two tiny glass vintage beads on the end. I LOVE the finished earring! So pretty! And I know it will look so great on Charlotte, with her beautiful curly hair. 

***********************************************

The Lord was definitely speaking to me as I was making this unusual piece.

And the message was so clear - He wants to take the scraps from my life, the bits and bobs, the things that I think are trash and can't be used, and turn them into something beautiful.

"To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified." Isaiah 61:3.

5 comments:

  1. I needed this so much! Thank you, Lora. The spirit of heaviness is exactly what I'm trying to escape.
    Your earrings are simple gorgeous. Love the leaf detailing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you listen for the voice of God! You are so faithful and you are so right, that is exactly what he wants to do!!! thank you for sharing and nice piece!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really pretty, I love the leaf stamping.
    Thanks for visiting Lora, and for your lovely comment.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lora, you have such an amazing gift. He is using you to speak His word to all who visit your blog....thanks for sharing with us...it's such an encouragement.

    LOVE your blog!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin