Monday, November 28, 2011

pauline

When we were in Atlanta over Thanksgiving, I knew that the one person I needed to visit before anyone else was my neighbor, Pauline. She lived in the big old farmhouse across the street from us. And she is a very big part of my story about how I started making things with my hands. She taught me how to crochet when Leo was a baby. And that simple act opened up the door of creativity in my world. She gave me the vote of confidence to believe that I could actually make things with my hands. And I am forever grateful!

Pauline is 91 years old, and still lives all by herself in her big old farmhouse.
So independent! She's gotten quite frail over the past couple of years, but she's still got that glisten in her eyes and spring in her step.

I was so happy to see her. I made sure to thank her for showing me how to crochet, and shared with her how I now have a little business where I sell the things that I make with my hands. She was so encouraged, and said to me, "I'm so glad to know that. I never thought that I would be a part of something like that!"
It was a really special moment for the two of us.

*****************************************

You never know what a little act of kindness can do for someone else. Pauline, with her shaking hands, guided that crochet needle through the yarn as she held my hands in place. It was a small thing. But, at the same time, that afternoon played a profound part in my own personal journey. It really did set my life on a different course.

It reminds me to be always be looking and watching for opportunities to bless and encourage someone else. To speak hope and belief into the life of another. To give that vote of confidence that can propel someone's gifts and talents into the next level.


(linking up with:)


3 comments:

  1. So precious....so glad you went to visit Pauline. She is one amazing lady. You are special to her and she is special to you. So glad God put her in your path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priceless, Lora. Such an encouragement to us and to Pauline. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing. This brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin