Tuesday, November 8, 2011

embrace your face

The topic of this little post has been on my heart for awhile now. It's a work that God is doing in my heart. You'd think at 36 years of age, I would've gotten to a point where I'm comfortable with how God made me, but I am still a work in progress.


Lately, I've gotten increasingly self-conscious of my face. You know, when you're having a conversation with someone and you're looking at them, and they're looking at you. And all you can think about it is how you don't like how you look. You know, like the wrinkles, the shape of your nose, the age spots or broken capillaries, the moles or freckles on your face, the bags under your eyes, etc..... And all of those insecurities get in the way of truly listening and connecting with another person as you talk face to face with them.

So, lately, I've been asking the Lord to free me from those insecurities and to help me to embrace my face. To learn to love those things about me that make me unique and special. To be free to be ME.


Does anyone know what I'm talking about?? I felt like I needed to share this little personal struggle I'm having with y'all because I am pretty sure I'm not alone. It's easy to say, "I am fearfully and wonderfully made." It's another thing to really believe it in your heart and walk in that freedom! I want to teach my children, especially Miss Ruthie, to believe that she is beautiful. To know that she was created in the image of God. That she was made and sculpted by Him with love and tender care.

Help us, Lord, to embrace our faces. To walk in the complete knowledge that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. To love who you created us to be! And to be examples of that to our children. 


"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." 
Psalm 139:14

"Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it."
(same verse, New Living Translation)



(linking up here:)


8 comments:

  1. Yes Lora, I know exactly what you are talking about. I wonder is there one single person on this planet who completely likes the way they look. We are so lucky that the lord...stop..I knew I had just studied this. 1 Samuel 16:7
    But the Lord said to Samuel, "Don't judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart." Lora you are a godly, loving woman and your light shines through in your beauty, for all to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing in posting this as about an hour ago I was speaking over myself that I am fearfully and wonderfully made and asking God to help me truly believe this. I totally understand where you are coming from. Can't wait to see what the Lord does in lives in this area and how it will bring breakthrough for not just us but our daughters as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also know what you are going through. The Lord started bringing me through this a few years back, using my daughter to teach me how to see myself through His eyes. I wrote about this for (in)courage if you want to check it out: http://www.incourage.me/2011/06/unadorned.html

    You ARE beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm spending a little time checking out new blogs, so i thought id stop and say hello to you folks. Richard from the Amish community of Lebanon Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a great smile! God bless :)
    www.myoverflowingheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautifully written, lora. thank you so much!
    also, you have a pretty face;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think you're alone! One of my children recently pointed out something that I cannot change. It was time for a little learning session for them...about not pointing out things to people that they cannot change, because it does make them self conscious about them. But it did make me feel a bit bad. I also remembered, I'm not going to be getting any better looking as I age. Will my kids still love me? I sure hope so...because it's not what's on the outside that really matters.

    And yes, you are beautiful! =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin