Thursday, September 15, 2011

being intentional

Robby and I had some sweet time together last night on my screened-in porch. The weather was just perfect! We sat in the rocking chair together, as the other children read and blew bubbles and played out there with us. It was a nice moment.

Robby was fascinated with the necklace I was wearing. 
He kept grabbing it and rubbing his little fingers against the copper disc.

I made the necklace a few months ago. It was supposed to say "ii corinthians 5:17", but I messed up and stamped "ephesians 5:17".  I looked up the scripture afterwards, and I knew that it was for me! (God has a way of doing that kind of stuff frequently with me. I'm really starting to believe that nothing is an accident!)

"Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do."
{ephesians 5:17 NLT}


That scripture is so simple, yet so powerful! 
Especially for me in the season I'm in. It's so easy to be "thoughtless", to not be intentional. Do you know what I mean? When our days sometimes run together; when we kind of turn ourselves onto 'autopilot', going through the motions, basically in survival mode.  

But what I think this verse is saying is this: 

Be intentional. 

Don't go through your life without really thinking about what you're doing. 

Seek the will of God in your day to day life.

Even in the smallest of decisions. 


Because He can be found in every little thing. 

Even down to the book we choose to read to our 2 year old. 
Or the friend we choose to call and check on. 
Or the exact wording in the encouraging text we send our husband. 

All of these little things that make up our days can have profound meaning and lasting impact, if we let them. 

How awesome is that?!


"So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is."
{ephesians 5:17 NASB}

****************************************

(and the neatest part of this whole story to me is that the necklace came into existence because I messed up! if I had stamped the correct scripture reference the first time, I never would have made this one! I love how God did that! He uses everything, even what we think are mistakes!)

6 comments:

  1. I loved reading these encouraging words this morning - and I love the story behind the necklace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me that nothing is an accident! God can use everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely adore this post! Isn't it amazing the the way that God works!! This necklace is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS awesome!!! And the perfect scripture for me today! Thanks for sharing Lora!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for this awesome reminder Lora! I just love how the Lord had you stamp the verse that He wanted you to have just for you! You are so right. *nothing* is by accident!
    Blessings + love!
    xo
    Andee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Lora, it's very encouraging. I've been thinking along those lines myself. Sometimes I feel like a bit of a grandma amongst my friends, but I'm coming to realise that that is my witness, the way I live my life does make a difference just because I'm being me. Does that make sense? I really love this verse. One day I'm going to get a necklace from you and I've been thinking about what I want to say on it, because I know people will ask. I think this might be it!! I'll let you know xxx

    Thanks for all you do and your honest sharing Lora, it really does make a difference around the world.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin