Monday, August 15, 2011

eucharisteo

I'm sure most of you have heard of Ann Voskamp's book "One Thousand Gifts". (If you haven't, I highly recommend it! It's really a life-changing book. Her blog is amazing, too.)

I've been slowly making my way through reading it, and have recently started keeping a little gratitude journal. That's pretty much how the whole book came about - Ann felt led by God to write down 1,000 gifts (or blessings/little things she was thankful for) in a journal. And the journey radically changed her life.

Years ago, I saw this beautiful little journal in a bookstore. I bought it on the spur of the moment, knowing that I would make a use for it one day. It sat in my bookcase for years, unopened, the pages blank. When I started reading One Thousand Gifts, I remembered that little journal! Last week, I opened it and began making my gratitude list.

A little book. Hopefully, one that will revolutionize the way I live my life.

All those years ago, it was God who led me to make that spur-of-the-moment purchase on a little journal. He knew that one day it would make the perfect beginning to a life of counting my blessings one by one.

the beginnings...

A few months ago, a customer commissioned me to make her a necklace that was inspired by One Thousand Gifts. She wanted {eucharisteo} stamped on the silver pendant. Ann Voskamp mentions the Greek word "eucharisteo" several times in the book. It is the word for thankfulness. Such a powerful word. And such a reminder to give thanks in all circumstances.

Since making that necklace, I have made several more just like it for other customers. It seems that God is really doing a work in women all over the world in this same area.

He is calling us higher, to a life of radical thankfulness.


"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 
I Thessalonians 5:16-18

 (Linking up with:)
 




Have a wonderful week!


7 comments:

  1. Great post- darling journal. I loved seeing a glimpse of your list because I am thankful for similar things- those 'little' things always seem to be the first things to go down on the lists I make.
    I've noticed that over the last few years thankfulness has often played a key role in whether or not I am happy and at peace or full of self pity and anxious. When I'm the latter, God always reminds me that I need to go back to making myself remember all I have. What a difference it makes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That journal is such a fantastic idea. Something I NEED to try in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading that book right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It felt so familiar to read your blog. I have found that when I am feeling really down, I just start naming off anything that I am grateful for whether it be a beautiful sunny sky or a cold A/C and it always, always makes me feel joy. Thanks for the great idea of writing it down. I think I need to buy a pretty journal...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Multitude Monday's literally changed my life! I am forever grateful for the way the Lord has used Ann in my life.

    The book was fantastic. I hosted a book club and all of the ladies really were changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lora,

    I tried tweeting you, but I didn't hear back, so I wanted to touch base again. I don't have your email address and can't find a way to contact you here on your blog. However, I have a question for you regarding a guest post. I don't want to send all the details via blog comment, so will you shoot me an email. My address is amboleslie{at}gmail{com}.

    Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww! Thank you for leaving a link on my blog. This post was so inspiring and I'm excited to follow along and read more. I'll also have to check out that book!

    <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin