Monday, July 11, 2011

sharing stitches

My good friend Susanna recently asked me if I'd take part in a little crafting project with her and one other girl. She'd been inspired by a great book called Sharing Stitches. It gives lots of wonderful ideas for making collaborative mixed media projects. Susanna wanted to make one in particular as a gift for our mutual friend Jenn. I was given a template (actually a cut out piece of cardboard cereal box) and a little bit of direction from Susanna. Basically, all I had to do was pick a little theme/phrase and create around it, using all sorts of mediums, such as fabric, paper, buttons, ribbon, ink, etc.etc...

This is what I came up with:


And this is the cover of the book where Susanna got the inspiration from:

what an inspiring book!
(click here to find it on amazon.com for pretty cheap)

I confess I was a little bit indimidated by this project. I don't ever do crafts like this. I usually just stick to jewelry making and basic sewing. But, as I dove into making this, I fell more and more in love with the process! The finished product sort of evolved over time. I kept adding little bits to it until I felt it was "done".

a tiny garland, a crocheted circle, a vintage button, a scripture on cardstock, vintage fabric, a word and a rose stamped with ink...

a little vintage butterfly pin next to zig zag stitches...

an antique crocheted doily with an old button in its center resting on a bed of vintage patterns cut into little circles...

a little ruffled bit of striped fabric above part of a greeting card sewed onto vintage burlap...

some vintage gingham cut to look like a flower stem and a row of vines stamped in ink....

and all of this was sewed onto one side of a cereal box!

a simple message to brighten Jenn's day:
{Rejoice! ~ God has great plans for you!}

Susanna and our other friend, Ramona, each made one, too. All three were unique and had a different theme/mesage for Jenn. Susanna punched holes at the tops and bottoms of each creation and joined the three together vertically with ribbon. Now, Jenn has a wonderful, one of a kind, work of art to hang on her wall. How fun!!

I can't wait to make another one!  It was so rewarding. I really enjoyed the creative process.

Just another way that my life was made more lovely this past week!


and here:
and here:

and here:
Have a wonderful week, everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Wow!
    I just saw your entry over at Life Made Lovely! I wrote Sharing Stitches and I am so excited to see that you like it, and I LOVE your project! :)
    Have a blessed day!
    Chrissie Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i LOVED my gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet and pretty! You did a wonderful job on it, Lora! It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--beautiful! It totally looks like a piece of art! I love that idea of doing an art project together.
    Did you crochet the doily yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. NatalieY.9:21 PM

    Wow! I love it!!! Wonderful job! You are so creative... truly a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is such a great idea and yours turned out perfect!

    the july giftaway - is on! an anthropologie pillow and some goodies! enter and pass along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is sooo sweet! Now I want one! Love your beautiful new profile pic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is really beautiful! this is my first time here and i must say i've enjoyed myself. i'll be following!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is beautiful! I love the wording- so encouraging!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin