Sunday, July 24, 2011

thoughts on creativity

I love divine appointments. You know, how you just happen to run into someone or meet a stranger in a store that instantly becomes a kindred spirit? I had one of those last week. I was in Goodwill (my favorite store), and I started up a conversation with this lady next to me at the counter. Our talk quickly gravitated to the spiritual side of life, and we discovered that we both knew the Lord. And we also discovered that we were both creative (she paints Hebrew words and names on canvas - her work is beautiful!)... Anyway, we exchanged information and I got an email from her a few days later asking me if I wanted a box of craft supplies. And of course, I told her YES! (Ever since I made that mixed media project, I've been itching to try more of that kind of crafting. So, needless to say, I was super excited to see what Rhonda had for me!)

We met yesterday in a grocery store parking lot and exchanged goodies (I made her a necklace with the word "tikvah" on it - it's the Hebrew word for "hope"). And look at all the fun stuff she gave me!

well over a couple hundred dollars worth of scrapbooking supplies, paints, stamping supplies, decorative papers, acrylic paints, and a hot glue gun!

and I couldn't help but smile when I saw this stamp of two hands. 
get it?
{eager hands}
God loves me. :)

I couldn't wait to get home and start creating! I made four cards yesterday afternoon while the little ones were napping. It was so much fun! I'm no expert, but I sure loved trying this new creative hobby. And I can't wait to send these to some of my friends and family. Or, maybe I'll start including these in my etsy packages to customers... You never know!

******************************************
Here's the cards I made:

1. {paris}



2. {accomplishment}




3. {happiness}



4. {victory}



So, which one is your favorite?
(I think mine is the last one. I just love keys.)

**********************************************

I've really been motivated lately in the creativity department. I love how God shows Himself to me when I make things with my hands! I always connect with Him in some way when I am being creative.

I was looking around on flickr last night and came across this photo. It is a page of an art journal, and the words really spoke to my heart. Especially these words:

"The first thing that God showcased about Himself was His creativity...and it was good. He created me in His image so I can fill the earth with His goodness..." (written by Cathy Parmelee)


Those words are so true! And how awesome that we serve such a creative God! 
The heavens declare His glory. The sky is His canvas!  



Linking up with:




Hope everyone has a great week! My house is going to be pretty quiet. My two oldest boys are with Clint's parents in South Georgia all week. I am so excited for them to have this adventure with their grandparents, but I know I'll miss having them around! 


8 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful thing to have encountered. I love when God shows us that no matter who we do or don't know that we all help build the body of Christ and that we are all somewhat codependent. Have fun with your amazing crafting supplies!!!
    Lani

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love divine appointments too! I came across you blog whilst blog hopping and love how you share your love for Jesus and how His creativity flows through you. Gorgeous projects too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome!! how great! Divine appointments...God knows what He's doin! love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:27 PM

    Lora, you are lovely and i heart how God made you.

    : )

    ~kitsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing...I had one of those at Hancock fabrics the other day :-) I love the accomplish card personally, but they're all so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how fun is that!? i really like the paris card. i love that quote. not only do we serve an awesome and powerful god, but a creative god as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the "Paris" one ... I've never been, but I'd like to go someday, especially since my MIL just got back from there earlier this year and loved every aspect of it.

    Thank you for sharing that quote too...recently, I'm realizing how much being creative is a part of how God put me together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this story! and i think the key collage is my favorite too :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin