Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Grandmama

Clint's precious grandmother went to be with the Lord yesterday morning at 4 am. She was surrounded by her two daughters (one being Clint's mom). She passed away peacefully in her bed.

She was a wonderful woman. She loved Jesus. She adored her garden and the birds that came into her yard everyday. She had a big grin that was contagious. She made the most delicious Sweet Potato Casserole that I've ever tasted. She had a sweet spirit and loved her children (and grandchildren and even great grand children!) with all her heart. 

She will be missed tremendously. 

She was 91 years old.

I praise the Lord that my sweet mother in law, Diane, was able to be by her mother's side when she went to heaven.


 Gertrude (but known to family as "Grandmama" or "Mama")
{here she is in her garden with all her beautiful flowers}

I am convinced that God has been preparing a indescribably beautiful garden just for her. And I know that she is there now with her husband and her baby boy (who died when he was just 14 months old). I can just picture her there with them and with Jesus, smiling that contagious grin, finally at peace and no longer in pain.

here we are with Grandmama on our wedding day. She was so proud of her grandson.
And boy, did Clint love her!

We are making preparations to drive to south Georgia in a few days for the funeral. I've been asked to sing at the service. I am most likely going to sing that old hymn, "In the Garden".

It's the perfect song for Grandmama.




In the Garden

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.


He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.


And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.


(words by Charles Austin Miles (1912))

*****************************************

Please lift up Clint and his whole family (especially his mother, Diane) during this time of grief. We praise God for Gertrude and the long life she led and the legacy she has left behind. She was an amazing woman. She will be missed!

Thanks so much,

7 comments:

  1. Awe...I'm so sorry for your loss. I can tell she was a beautiful woman...and can imagine that she will be thoroughly missed.

    I pray you make it through the song and that your family is comforted during this time. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... so sad. my condolences, this is a great loss

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing woman. What a beautiful tribute this post is to her and to the spiritual legacy she left her beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts and prayers will be with Y'all. My wonderful Grandaddy went home to be with the Lord a few months ago too. While I am so happy that he is not in pain and at peace now, I miss him. I will pray for Clint. I'm glad that you are going to sing that song. It is such a beautiful one and I know that she'll be smiling in heaven where the gardens are far prettier than our minds could even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know we have never met, but my heart goes out to you... I'm so sorry for your loss and will keep your family in my prayers... I hope you all can find some comfort in the days to come sharing memories of happy days with her...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so very sorry for your loss. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet post and what a blessing to be able to write what you did about Clint's grandmom! Thinking about your guys and praying for you and the family.

    On another note - I love your new blog design. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin