Tuesday, May 10, 2011

vintage children's book bunting


I found the sweetest little vintage children's book the other day at the thrift store. It was marked 10 cents. And it was 50% off. So, I got it for only 5 cents.

As you can tell from this photos, it was in pretty bad shape. The binding was taped together.
But, the pages were still intact and not ripped, so I knew that I could make something cute with it.
I just loved the retro illustrations!
 This morning, I took the book apart and laid all of the pages out on my dining room table.

 Then, I trimmed the rough edges and punched two holes at the top of the pages

 I threaded the pages through a long piece of ivory yarn

 And oila! An super cute, one of a kind, banner for Ruth and Joseph's wall!

To hang, I simply knotted the ends of the yarn around little pins that I stuck in the wall.
(I really love the old tape on this page of the book, don't you?)



I am really pleased with how this bunting turned out. It took me all of thirty minutes to complete, and only cost five cents!!

This is such a great little project and a fantastic way to repurpose old books that are broken. And it would be really fun to do with your preschooler. A perfect lesson in cutting, punching holes, and threading yarn!

If you make one, too, please send me a photo! I'd love to see what you come up with!


linking up with:

 (click here to see all the blogs participating)

Lora 

12 comments:

  1. What a LOVELY idea!! Someday when I have a nursery to decorate I'm going to keep this in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable! I'm going to have to keep an eye out for some books when I go thrifting tonight! The dog ate/destroyed all of her books one night. Can't wait to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it so much! Great idea. I might have to steal :) I just love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Creative!

    I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i absolutely love this!! i love the look of the tape as well. and vintage kids books mmm yeah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lora - this is an amazing idea! I'm so going to make one! Maybe one for the twins or a "little house" themed one for Kylie...yay! Excited for a new project - you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely adorable! Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute! I keep old children's that are in bad condition to use the pages for decoupage, but I haven't thought of doing this. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is very cute. I have some old books and was looking for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin