Saturday, April 16, 2011

birthday highlights

I had a sweet birthday. Here's some of the highlights:

Clint took me out on a date Thursday night to celebrate. We went out to dinner at my favorite restaurant, Jaipur. It has the best Indian food ever. Yummy!! Then, we went to see the movie "The Adjustment Bureau" (with Matt Damon). It was really good - very thought provoking. I'm still thinking about it, in fact!

 36!

 standing in front of Jaipur

Then, on Friday, I started the day off with a walk to my church's thrift store with all five of the kiddos. I bought each of them a present. (Who says you can't give presents when it's your birthday?!) Then, we came home to discover a blow up bouncy house in our backyard! My dear friend Susanna and her hubby set theirs up in our yard for our kids to play with! It was a fun surprise.

At naptime, Clint watched the kids so I could have the afternoon to myself. I drove to uptown Charlotte and explored a cute little area. I parked my car and walked all around the little shops and restaurants. The weather was gorgeous! I had lunch at a diner called The Diamond. (Bacon cheeseburger and sweet potato fries! delicious!). Then, I went to my favorite bead store called Bead Lush that it's in a big old house.  It's amazing!  I never get to go there because it's so far away. They have an incredible vintage bead section! My parents gave me a VISA Gift Card for my birthday so I was able to buy lots of jewelry goodies to make some awesome new pieces. It was such a fun afternoon!

I came home and Clint and the kids presented me with a cute little cake and some sweet cards and chocolates. The boys were so excited to give me the funny "singing cat" card. (It was from Lester, they said)

 cards and little gifts from Clint and the kids

 the little cake that the boys decorated

And then last night, Susanna came over with an incredible carrot cake that she made from scratch. We sat and talked and then watched a movie. She also gave me the cutest apron ever! (A very appropriate gift from her because she is my hero when it comes to cooking/baking. She's so talented!) It was a fun night. :)

********************************************

When I was eating my lunch at that diner, I sat and wrote in my journal. I made a long list of all the things I am thankful for in my life. It was a sweet time with the Lord. I had a neat revelation from Him as well. Someone emailed me yesterday "happy birthday and remember to always be happy." I thought about that sentiment for a long time and heard in my spirit,

"Happiness is a choice."

Every day, when we wake up, we have a choice to make. We can either choose joy or choose sadness.

And more often than not, I confess that I don't choose joy. I choose to be sad or lonely or anxious or upset.

So, I am praying that God will help me in this new year of life to choose to be happier. To make up my mind and just refuse to be depressed.

Deep thoughts, huh?! :)

Hope everyone is having a good day so far. It's rainy here today. I am already being tested with the happiness choice thing. I lost my brand new Mary Kay lipstick that I got yesterday from a friend. It's still in the box! And it wasn't cheap! It's gone. I've looked everywhere. I am trying not to get upset about it. I know that it sounds silly to get upset about a lost lipstick, but I was so excited to get it. It was in the perfect shade for me! (Raisin Berry) Anyway, I am choosing joy. I'm not gonna let the devil get to me with a little lost lipstick.  (It's the little foxes that spoil the vineyard, isn't it?!)

So, my friends, let's walk in JOY today! No matter what's going on around us, let's choose to be happy!

Speaking of choosing, I'm choosing the giveaway winners later on today!! I'll let y'all know who they are sometime this afternoon.


7 comments:

  1. HApPy BiRThDAY sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh so sweet. that cake looks amazing and yummy! what a lucky mommy to have such a great family surrounding her and what a lucky family to have such a fabulous mommy. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so beautiful :) You have such an amazing smile! It's so radiant!
    And what an adorable surprise to come home to! Especially the card from Lester ;) Too cute!
    It sounds like you had an amazing birthday! Super jealous of your trip to explore! That's my kind of birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a great birthday! You DESERVE it, Lora! I hope this coming year is filled with many unexpected blessings and that each day is richly filled with love and joy. You make 36 look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!!! You are so lovely! You are one of my heros in faith-raising up the next generation in the love of the Lord, loving and growing in who the Lord has made you to be, serving/loving/and running with a Godly husband, and just a beautiful person all around!! You make me excited for the things to come in my life!! May this year be the very best, filled to the brim with joy, new songs, and a satisfied soul. =] love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me smile. :o) See?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! I did think of you on your day. Your bday is marked in my calendar still.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin