Monday, February 21, 2011

my word for 2011

I've been doing a lot of soul-searching lately. I've noticed lots of "bad fruit" in my life that I'm not proud of. I've let a lot of things slide in my life recently, and I've realized that my day-to-day life has gotten way out of balance.

I used to be really big on routines. I would have a schedule for each day. I would also make sure that I had a "quiet time" each day with the Lord. I only watched TV at certain times and for certain pre-determined shows.

Those days were also the days before the internet. I actually watched a TV, not a computer screen. I only did email for work. I had never even heard of a blog.

Well, we live in a new age. And I am realizing that I need to adjust my radar to accomodate that. Just because I have been blessed with a nice computer doesn't mean I need to sit in front of it all day. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love my blog and my shop, and I have really been encouraged by a lot of the other blogs out there. But, I have had to realize that there are just some blogs that I can't read on a daily basis. They only lead me to comparing myself to others and feeling inadequate or not crafty enough, or not pretty enough, or that my house is not cool enough... the list goes on and on.

I confess that I have let my life get totally out of balance. I've spent way too much time doing things that have no eternal value. I haven't been excellent in what I am called to do. And those callings are more important than what I've been occupying myself with lately.

A wife.
A mother of five.
and most importantly, a follower of Jesus.

So, as I prayed through what word I wanted to focus on this new year (I know, I'm a little late...), I kept coming back to one word. BALANCE. How I yearn for that in my life!

And as I sat at my dining room table yesterday, surrounded by my tools, I began to make my own necklace.

(Which is rare, because I'm usually making necklaces for other people. It felt kinda good to make something just for me!)

I felt a sense of excitement as I stamped out the word on the copper. Each letter that was hammered was like a step closer to this new commitment that I am making with the Lord, concerning my spiritual life.

BALANCE


Notice that there are seven dots around the ring. The number seven represents completion. I am reminded of the scripture:

"Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6

I also stamped the scripture reference that goes with my word BALANCE on the back of the pendant as well.

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control." II Timothy 1:7



I am wearing my necklace right now. I slept with it last night. I've been running my finger around and around the little ring. I am making a commitment to the Lord to be a woman of BALANCE. I know that He is leading me to do this, and I know that He will be faithful to complete this good work in my life. 

I've started taking some steps to help me regain a balanced life. Here's a few of them:

*I am fasting hulu and netflix so that I can clear my mind and ask the Lord to help me make better choices to what I put in front of my eyes. I might start back later and watch an occasional tv show or movie after the kids go to bed, but I am not going to watch stuff while they are downstairs. I have realized that this has become an addiction in my life and has gotten way out of balance. I am asking the Lord to help me in this area, so that I can become a person of more moderation.

*I have cut sweets out of my diet. My good friend Susanna and I are giving them up together this week. We both did Weight Watchers two years ago and both lost a ton of weight. Well, we've both had another child, and we both need to lose that baby weight again! So, we're jump starting our systems by giving up the things we love most. I've realized that sweets have really become an addiction for me lately, and I don't want that! So, I am trying to gain more self-discipline by saying no to the things that I know aren't good for me.

*I have started exercising. For those of you that know me, you know that I hate to exercise. But, I am really trying hard to force myself to do it, in the hopes that I will learn to love it. And I know that I will feel better physically and emotionally if I make this a priority every day.

*I am trying to make more of a day to day routine for me at home with the kiddos. I am just beginning this part. But, I know that God will lead me and give me wisdom on the best schedule for us. This includes time alone with God, time with the kids, time for me, and time for my etsy shop, and housework.

I am excited about this new phase of my life! I feel a new sense of excitement in my spirit. I've been watching Joyce Meyer sermons everyday and the Lord has used her so much to ignite a fire in me to get serious!  It's time to get committed and be deliberate in my walk with the Lord and in my calling as a wife and mother and follower of Jesus!

Thanks for reading. I know that this was a long post! But, I needed to write this all down for me to make it real, you know? I want to be accountable to what the Lord has led me to do! Writing it down really helps with that kind of thing...

Well, I have to go now. I'm stepping away from my computer for a few hours. I need to go play with my kids! Maybe we'll dance to my new Richard Simmons exercise video! That man is so encouraging and affirming! Seriously...

I appreciate you!

13 comments:

  1. WOW Lora

    this is such an encouragement! thank you for being so open and honest in sharing what you are going through. it amazing to see you pressing into the Lord for guidance through this.

    Thanks again for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. very inspirational post. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post. Pondered and prayed on it, and I thought I had selected my "one word," but God is sort of leading me towards another one that encompasses that one. I'm experiencing a need to step back from some of the things you mentioned also, particularly too much time in front of the computer, which is tricky since my paying job involves working online. At any rate, now I'm attempting to save up some money b/c I have come up with the "one word" I want on my necklace and I need to buy it from you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How encouraging your words ! ! Just think of all the people who will be inspired to follow some of your ideas. As a 67 year old Christian, I know how easily we can become distracted by the temporary things of this world and how insignificant they really are when compared to the eternal things that REALLY matter. God Bless You ! !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Hello Friend!!!
    Praying for your balance today!!
    The Lord will help you be a Steady-Eddie...I LOVE the verse you chose.
    I would pick that verse for the word CONFIDENCE...which i am afflicted with...or my lack there-of... actually, i KNOW i have it...i'm just intimidated..for instance, i am getting ready to go meet a Senator..who I have NEVER met...in regards to the boys... WHAT IN THE WORLD!!! Your post has encouraged me...and I am so Thankful to the Lord and to you for your faithfullness...
    Thankyou Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This theme is in the conciousness of the blogosphere lately, a recent power outage reminded how addicted to the internet and Netflix I had become. It was nice to be without it and my husband and I are talking about having a "no power day" once a month where we shut off all the breakers except the one for our fridge and practice "toughing it out" as a family, forcing us to spend more quiet time together and to prepare us for more of those mountain storms. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi lora!

    i recently started reading your blog, and i'm so encouraged by the thoughts that you've been sharing. thanks so much for your openness! i feel like these are some of the same things that the Lord is trying to teach me right now, so it's very good to hear that i'm not alone in this! i pray that the Lord will continue to teach you (and me!) balance in this mommy life. there is so much joy that He brings when we submit our will to His and allow Him to bring us closer to Him.

    blessings!
    jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the inspiration to be a better person! We could all use more of that in our lives... balance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The things that the Lord showed you that were out of balance in your life are the very same things he has been showing me as well. My children are grown, so I am not neglecting them, but I have been lax in other areas, including my quiet time and spending the resource of my time on things with no eternal value.

    Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for sharing this, hon. I wear the necklace you made for me for my word, mercy, several times a week. It's been very helpful in staying focused.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome!!! i'm with ya!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. NatalieY.10:54 PM

    AWESOME!!! Love all of this!! So happy to talk in person about this today, too! ...Thankful that you are in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this, i will join you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin