Sunday, January 16, 2011

dogwood necklace

Last March, my in-laws came up for a visit. My mother-in-law watched the kids while she was here so Clint and I could go to some wonderful estate sales in the city (blogged about here). In one of the beautiful old houses, I found some amazing vintage pendants and jewelry components! One of my most favorite finds was a beautiful etched glass pendant with a lovely dogwood design.

I couldn't wait to make a necklace with it! Unfortunately, I could not find the little brown paper bag that had the pendant and some other vintage jewelry pieces inside it. I looked everywhere! I assumed that I lost it and moved on. Well, a few days ago, Clint decided to clean out his "room" (aka study, library, cave). And I was thrilled when he came into the kitchen with a little brown paper bag in his hand! My treasures from ten months ago!  I had even forgotten about them, so I was so surprised and delighted to see what was inside that tiny paper bag.


amazing vintage etched glass pendant with dogwood design
on very long silver chain made with vintage components


Legend of the Dogwood:

"In Jesus' time, the dogwood grew

To a stately size and a lovely hue.

'Twas strong and firm it's branches interwoven

For the cross of Christ its timbers were chosen.

Seeing the distress at this use of their wood

Christ made a promise which still holds good:

"Never again shall the dogwood grow

Large enough to be used so.

Slender and twisted, it shall be

With blossoms like the cross for all to see.

As blood stains the petals marked in brown

The blossom's center wears a thorny crown.

All who see it will remember Me

Crucified on a cross from the dogwood tree.

Cherished and protected, this tree shall be

A reminder to all of my agony."


I really love how this one turned out. So simple and beautiful. And it truly is one-of-a-kind! I've never seen another pendant like this one. And the meaning behind it is the best part of it. What a wonderful reminder to us of what Christ went through to give us freedom!

Have a blessed Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin