Sunday, December 19, 2010

five years



On December 19th, 2005, exactly five years ago today, I opened up my eager hands etsy shop. I was nervous and excited. I had no idea what to expect. I didn't really know what I was doing. My pictures were grainy and small and pretty much awful. I had about five listings for sale. But I knew in my heart that God had given me a vision. He'd given me a name, "eager hands". He'd given me a scripture, Proverbs 31:13. He'd begun a new work in my life. I was inexperienced in having a business, let alone running a shop online. But I knew that it was time to put myself, and the works of my hands, "out there"... And so, it began.

Now, five years later, with over 700 sales made, I am in awe at what the Lord has done! I am humbled that he has given my little shop the success that it has had. He has put me in contact with hundreds of amazing customers from all over the world. I have sent my little creations to far away places like Singapore, Indonesia, Russia, Australia, Spain, Lithunia, Poland, England, France, and Japan...

I have spent countless hours crocheting till my fingers were aching, ironing fabric late into the night, hammering letters into copper and silver at my dining room table, sewing little bags and quilts during naptimes, and packing packages with vintage patterns and ribbons... And I truly have tried to do it all for Him. I have given this little business over and over and over again back to the Lord. And He has shown me over and over and over again that it truly is my ministry right now, (second to my ministry as a wife and mother, of course).

Years ago, when I was single and full of dreams and ambitions for God, I received a very powerful word. The basic gist of it was that God was going to take me all over the world and was going to use me to sing over His people and encourage them, bring them to Him, etc... I was so excited and couldn't wait to get on a plane and start my worldwide ministry. Well, when the plane trips never happened and I found myself years later as a stay at home mom surrounded by a sink full of dirty dishes and a house full of little ones, I got very discouraged. I remember talking to my mom one afternoon last year lamenting about the word that never came to pass, grieving my "worldwide ministry"...
And my mom said to me, "Lora, look at your etsy shop! Look at your blog. Think of all the people all over the world that are being touched by the works of your hands. And you are singing over them. When you sew and make jewelry and iron that fabric, it is usually done while you are listening to worship music and while you are singing along and worshipping the Lord. All of that is done while you are making these little things. You pray over your jewelry, your quilts, even the vintage sheets you sell as you iron them before packaging them. And those prayers and songs to the Lord are going into those things and being carried all across the world to the people that buy them! You are doing what was spoken over you all those years ago, just not in the way you thought!"

Needless to say, that phone conversation was a profound turning point in my life. I realized that God had given me this little thing called "eager hands" as a vehicle through which He could use me to minister to others His love and His grace and His hope. And He has shown me again and again that when I choose to put Him first in all of this and in all that I create, He will bless the works of my hands.
So, I just want to take this little 5 year anniversary post to publicly acknowledge God and all that He has done for me! I am so humbled and thankful to Him for all the success He has given me. I pray that I will always remember to put the ministry side of "eager hands" before the business side. It's truly all about Him!
I really and truly desire for my jewelry and other handmade things to point people to Jesus, above all else.
That is my heart.
I hope and pray that that has shown through to my customers and to all of you, faithful blog followers, who have supported me and prayed for me and encouraged me in my gifts.
Thank you so much for believing in me!
*******************************************************
And a little word to encourage YOU-
If God has put a dream in your heart, go for it! With God, all things are possible!!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful post! I'm so glad that the Lord has blessed you with this success and that you've been able to share the beauty of handmade with so many people across the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. NatalieY.9:32 PM

    ...So well said, Lora! You are definitely blessing, and ministering, to MANY... What an awesome ministry, and opportunity, for you! You also get to do your business while nurturing and raising up another generation, inside the comfort of your home!! You are blessed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY 5TH ANNIVERSARY LORA!

    HERE'S WISHING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY A VERY BLESSED CHRISTMAS.

    LOTS OF HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise God for this beautiful gift that points to him, the Creator!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary :) A little late, I apologize, my google reader's been acting up again!
    Today again tears have filled my eyes for you. You have sung a song to me and blessed me. I am so thankful for what you do and what you've done.
    May God continue to bless you and your shop :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin