Sunday, August 22, 2010

peace like a river

If you've been reading my blog this past week, you know that things have been rough for me lately. I've been stretched and tested. And emotions have been running high. A couple of nights ago, I let something little blow up into something huge. And I really lost emotional control of myself. After crying and crying, my husband came and sat down next to me on the couch. He put his arm around me and said, "You need to worship now." I confess that I did not want to do that. I wanted to feel sorry for myself. I wanted to linger a little bit longer in my sadness. But, my wise husband was right. He held my hand and started singing some old hymns and praise choruses. And little by little, I joined along. After about 15 minutes of that, I did feel better. I knew that the devil had not won that day. I chose to praise God, regardless of how I felt. I chose to worship. And the darkness fled.

Shortly after, I sat down with my jewelry supplies and began to make this necklace. As I was making it, I started to hear this old praise song in my head, "I've Got Peace Like A River". I used to sing it when I was little. And as I fashioned this necklace together, peace began to fill my soul.

Jesus told us,

"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will beloosed in heaven.” Matthew 16:19

That night, with the help of my sweet husband, we bound that spirit of depression and loosed the spirit of peace.

Peace Like a River Necklace

antique skeleton key & pretty vintage aqua beads dangle off a long vintage silver chain

"I’ve got peace like a river, I’ve got peace like a river, I’ve got peace like a river in my soul...
I’ve got love like an ocean, I’ve got love like an ocean, I’ve got love like an ocean in my soul...
I’ve got joy like a fountain, I’ve got joy like a fountain, I’ve got joy like a fountain in my soul."
Peace be unto you today, my friends...
Lora

5 comments:

  1. NatalieY.9:22 PM

    This is so good Lora! I love the necklace too!! You are an inspiration to many... just by being you, and by being so strong... and so transparent and real! Love you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Sometimes someone has to be your encouragement/reminder. Something similar happened to me recently so I really appreciated your story-it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you seriously bless me with your posts. I've been having a hard time lately with some little things in life and I've just been stopping, taking a deep breathe, and moving on. Little did I realize that it was a darker evil that was still winning and still keeping me hostage from my small but growing problems. Thank you for helping me remember that I need to cast my cares upon Him if I want to win them.
    I really appreciate you! I really really do! and I seriously thank God for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love to see how the Lord used your husband to soften your heart to the Lord. I just love to see Godly men guiding their wives to the foot of the cross! What an awesome example. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin