Thursday, July 8, 2010

joseph's new blankie (plus a little tutorial)


I've been wanting to make Joseph a bigger blanket for him to use in his crib during naps and bedtime. Initially, I thought about getting some cute patterned fleece at the fabric store and just cutting it into the right size. (That's what I did for Ruth a few years ago and she loves hers - plus, no sewing required!)


But, last week, while I was shopping at Goodwill, I came across this super soft blue fleece blanket. It still had the tags on it! There was a fancy monogram in one corner, but I knew I could cover it up somehow. So, I snagged it up and bought it for only $1.29!!

I went through my fabric stash and found some remnant pieces from an old Thomas the Train sheet that I've used in some sewing projects for the boys in the past. I knew it would be perfect! I cut out two circles from the sheet (the exact same size). Then, I pinned them to the blanket over the existing white monogrammed I wanted to cover up. I sewed the circles on the blanket with a zig zig stitch.
Oila! Instant fix! And how cute is that?!

Back side features a cute little scene with a train who's steam spells "ZZZZZZZZZ"
Perfect for a blanket to hold while sleeping!

I think he likes it!

look at that cute little profile! i just love Joseph's nose...

and he's off!

So, I was able to give Joseph a brand new, one-of-a-kind blankie for just $1.29! And it took me less than a half an hour to make!
That makes this mommy very happy and proud of herself.
Lora

5 comments:

  1. So awesome!
    I love his hair....I miss him. Squeeze him for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love great finds like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's very impressive! Great going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute repurposing and frugality there - I remember when Scout LOVED Thomas - I think he still has a soft spot in his heart for Thomas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute! I would have never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin