Thursday, April 29, 2010

first date

Ten years ago today on April 29, 2000, Clint and I went on our very first date.

I cannot believe it's been ten years! Wow!

We had met about a month before that at church and were in the same small group bible study. We'd had a few good one-on-one talks and had been emailing a little bit. I'd never met a guy like Clint, and he definitely had me intriqued. On April 29th, a Saturday, I sat down at my big PC computer in my little one bedroom apartment to check my email. This was unusual for me because in those days, surfing the internet and checking email wasn't as big as it is now. I usually only checked my email at work during the weekdays. Anyway, when I opened my email up, I noticed an email from Clint. He asked me if I wanted to go get coffee that evening. He said that he would be calling me later. (Clint didn't have a cell phone back then either and I only used mine in my car for emergencies...)

I was anxious and nervous all day and stayed home in case he called. Around 7 or 8 pm, he called and asked if I wanted to go to Starbucks and get some coffee. I said sure. (He was at a wedding and stepped away from the reception to make the call in the reception hall's lobby.) He picked me up a little bit later wearing the suit that he wore to the wedding. I definitely felt under-dressed in my black pants and tshirt. haha... We got into his white Pontiac 6000 and when I sat down in the passenger seat, I was greeted by jazz music playing on the radio.

Everything about Clint was different than any other guy I had ever dated. He wasn't afraid to be himself. He was confident. He was unique.

We sat in Starbucks, drinking our hot cider (Clint) and hot chocolate (me), and talked for two hours. We had a deep talk right away. Clint had a way of looking at things in such a different light than I did. He made me question everything and open my eyes to new perspectives.

We came back to my apartment and talked a little more and I showed him some pictures of me growing up, my family, etc... Then, I walked him out and as we stood in my doorway, he shook my hand as he left. I am laughing as I type this because now I know that that gesture was so "clint". He always does things the unexpected way, and that handshake was just the beginning!



this picture was taken on my apartment balcony on our third or fourth date

Things moved pretty fast after that... We got engaged less than three months later on July 26th. He took me hiking and proposed on the top of a mountain.


This picture was taken about an hour after we got engaged. We look so young! Now, we're expecting our fifth child! Crazy how life turns out...

So, I am sure glad that Clint called me that night and asked me to go to Starbucks for coffee. How different my life would be if he had never called! I am very blessed to call him my husband and the father of my children.

Have a great day!

Lora

5 comments:

  1. great story! (and pictures!!!)
    I asked Josh out on our 1st date. I was intrigued with him because he was unlike any other guy I have ever met in that he was such a deep thinker and there was nothing shallow in him. That seems like a lifetime ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww :) how sweet! Thank you for being such a great role model for the newlyweds out there like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is precious :) I love it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you met at church! Keep the faith and God's blessings on you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! I love hearing stories like this. Congrats to you guys. We'll be celebrating our 10 years of dating this summer too :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin