Friday, February 26, 2010

Zoe's quilt

Sometimes I feel like I am not making a difference. You know, as a stay at home mom, I am pretty much home with my kids everyday. I don't go out much. I don't get to go on mission trips in other countries. I don't always get to go to the neat conferences that my church hosts. I stay home, change diapers, nurse babies, build train tracks, make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, help my husband, clean my house, and when I have time, make things like baby blankets and necklaces.
I was feeling especially down last week before I got sick. The devil had been lying to me and trying to convince me that I don't have a ministry in what I do everyday.

And this little story I'm about to share shows that sometimes a "ministry" can be found in doing a very small thing, like sewing a little baby quilt.

About six months ago, I came across the blog of an old friend that I knew at my church in Atlanta about five years ago. I discovered through reading her blog that she and her husband were in the process of adopting a little girl from Ghana, West Africa. They just recently received their referral and are elated to be getting their little 18 month old girl, who's going to be called Zoe, in a few months! As soon as I read their exciting news, I knew I wanted to make her something. Well, I finished her little quilt/toddler blanket a couple of weeks ago and my friend Amy got it in the mail last week. She sent me this email just when I was going through my hard time of feeling like I don't have a "ministry" -

"Oh Lora!!!! Your package arrived today! It could not be MORE PERFECT!!! I love the colors! I have to tell you that I have been looking at boutiques at this exact kind of blanket and couldn't find just the right one. I had in my mind that I wanted a fleece on one side and cotton on the other! How did you know?!? Flowers & polka dots are perfect.

Your handiwork is precious. And I am so appreciative of all the prayers you prayed over Zoe as you prepared her blanket. I can't wait to take it to her. I believe that I will pack it on our trip to get her and give it to her while we are still in Ghana.

Thank you so much for such an incredibly thoughtful and beautiful gift!

What a ministry you have!

Many, many blessings in return!!
Love - Amy

I read that email with tears in my eyes, thanking God for reminding me, yet again, that He is using me! I may never get to travel the world and minister like I dreamed of doing when I was young, but the works of my hands can go all the way to West Africa and help make a little 18 month old girl feel safe in the arms of her new adoptive parents. And I know that as she cuddles with that blankie, God will wrap His loving arms around her and give her peace and hope for a better life.

(polka dotted fleece backing with appliqued flower print dots)

So, I am determined now, more than ever, to keep my eyes open for ways to minister in the little things. All God asks of me is to be faithful with what I've been given. He's given all of us gifts and talents. There are opportunities everywhere and everyday to use those gifts and talents to bless others. We need to get creative and think outside of the box. God can use anything, no matter how small!!! I mean, look at the parable of the boy with the five loaves of bread and two fish! He used that little lunch to feed thousands of people! Surely, He can use the little that we have to do immeasurably more than we could ever think or imagine!

Thank you for letting me share this blessing that God allowed me to experience last week!

Lora

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and a good reminder. The quilt that you made is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariah6:32 PM

    Lora,

    I think your blog in itself is a great ministry, as is your Etsy shop. One of the things that attracted me to your shop in the first place was your profile/shop announcement. And you are certainly ministering to your precious kiddos and husband day in and day out - I wish I could do that full time, but I currently work outside the home. Someday... [sigh].

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's only when we get outside ourselves, He is able to use us effectively. I'm the queen of pity parties and know exactly what you mean but...do NOT believe the father of lies.
    You're made in the image of God Almighty; play that over and over in your head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lora,

    So often moms think that what they are doing doesn't really matter in the global scope of things, but I'm here to tell you, what you are doing with/for your family is VERY important. These lil people will grow into big people who will be making choices in the world.

    I am very often reminded of Jesus washing the feet of His disciples. Why wash feet? Surely those feet were very dirty feet. I even wonder if He used a scrub brush. But in all honesty, He gave us a simple example of a dirty job, and then said that we, too, must wash feet (or change diapers or clean toilets or make PBJ's). We are here to serve each other.

    The quilt you made is ADORABLE and what a "God-incidence" that it's just the thing your friend has been looking for!

    Be assured, you are doing exactly what God set you on earth to do. He knows where you live.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a great reminder.

    here's what i tell myself when the lies start to get too loud in my ear - God can call anyone to work great jobs and serve in great ministries but he only calls me to be jesse's wife and my kiddos mama.

    i love your blog and i appreciate you sharing life with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NatalieY.12:00 AM

    I can completely relate with everything you put in this post. Thank you for being so open and honest, in sharing your heart! ... Then, in reading the comments from your post... They also spoke to me. So thankful for you and your heart, neighbor! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. so Pretty!!!!

    I saw you had a tag on that quilt with your company name on it.... were did you get it???

    I have a sewing business for clothes and some other types of items and I have been looking for a place to make me some......

    sewbea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin