Sunday, February 21, 2010

simple things sunday

A smile - such a simple thing, yet full of so much power. A smile is contagious. A smile makes you feel better.

A perfect example of this is our dear friends, Heather and Jason. They came to stay with us for a few days this week from Vermont. They are on their way cross country to move to Arizona. See this picture of them? They are like this all the time. I'm serious. Big beaming smiles on their faces. Hearts full of JOY. The joy of the Lord.

the ever-happy couple

I learn so much from them whenever they come to stay with us. I am reminded that joy is a CHOICE. Every day, I have the choice to be full of joy or full of something else (whatever that may be at the time - sadness, anger, apathy, etc..) I can choose to see the glass half-full and not half-empty. And believe me, doing that is sometimes very difficult.

I've heard many times before that it is an actual scientific fact that it takes twice as many muscles in your face to frown than it does to smile. Interesting, huh? God has created our faces to express JOY much easier and with less effort than to express other negative emotions.

So, this next week, I am going to remind myself to SMILE! (especially when I don't feel like it!)

Such a simple thing, just the turning up of the sides of our mouths. But, oh what a change it can make in our hearts!

Have a JOYFUL week,

Lora

2 comments:

  1. What a gift to have so much joy of the Lord. beautiful photo~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy is beautiful on anyone! "The joy of the Lord is my strength..." thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin