Tuesday, February 9, 2010

an evening prayer

I love old hymnals. My husband does, too. Whenever we spot one at an estate sale or antique store, we pick it up if it's a good price. There's something so calming and peaceful about leafing through the old worn pages, faded with age, and humming the familiar tunes. And even if I don't know the melody of a particular hymn, I am still touched by the lyrics. So powerful...

The other night, right before bed, I was looking through one of our hymnals, THE COKESBURY WORSHIP HYMNAL, c. 1938. I discovered Hymn #120, "An Evening Prayer". I'd never heard of it, and I haven't played the melody yet on the keyboard, so I don't know the tune. But the words struck a chord in my spirit and I've been reading it before bed for the past couple of nights. I think I might make a habit of it...

I wonder what the composer, Chas. H. Gabriel, was going through when he wrote this hymn almost 100 years ago in 1911. It is amazing to me that a song that was written one hundred years ago can still be incredibly relevant to my life today!

An Evening Prayer
(by Chas H. Gabriel, 1911)

If I have wounded any soul today,
If I have caused one foot to go astray,
If I have walked in my own willful way,
Dear Lord, forgive!
****************************************
If I have uttered idle words or vain,
If I have turned aside from want or pain,
Lest I myself shall suffer thro' the strain,
Dear Lord, forgive!
******************************************
If I have been perverse or hard, or cold,
If I have longed for shelter in Thy fold,
When Thou hast given me some fort to hold,
Dear Lord, forgive!
******************************************
Forgive the sins I have confessed to Thee;
Forgive the secret sins I do not see;
O guide me, love me, and my keeper be,
Amen.



Have a wonderful Tuesday,

Lora

5 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing these words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi friend!
    I love this...
    and the picture ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing.
    What a wonderful way to end the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane7:26 PM

    Lots of old hymns have very special stories behind them. I learned this from the book.."Then Sings My Soul", which was a birthday gift from you and Clint. I love the way God can use an old hymn as conversation with Him when you have a need or just want to praise Him...words written many years ago but still relevent today. Our church has a stack of "Cokesbury Worship Hymnals", which they used years ago.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin