Tuesday, January 5, 2010

sweet aroma

Last night, after I put the kids to bed, and the house was still and quiet, I got the urge to bake. Something about baking (especially baking sweets) really relaxes me. I didn't have many ingredients on hand, such as chocolate chips, so I rooted around in my pantry and found lots of canned pumpkin and a little bit of quick cooking oats. So, I went onto http://www.allrecipes.com/ and plugged those in and oila! -

A super-easy, incredibly delicious recipe for Pumpkin Cookies!!

(the batter was pretty amazing too, I might add...)

yummy.....

A little late night snack by the computer.

Pumpkin Cookies VI

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 cup raisins (I used chopped walnuts instead. You could also use chocolate chips!)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla then stir in the pumpkin puree. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until well blended. Mix in raisins. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

**********************************************************************************

As I was editing some shop photos a little while ago, I came across a picture of an apron that I listed today. I love how the light and shadows bounce off eachother. I especially love how the shadow of the window frame created a cross across the old terrycloth in this vintage apron.

Vintage Handmade Terrycloth Apron - Happy Flowers and Sunshine

Such a picture of what I know that God has been doing in my heart over the past few weeks. He is cultivating in me a joy and purpose that I've never really experienced before in keeping a home and serving my husband and my children on a daily basis.

He is showing me that as I serve them with joy, I am also serving Him! I can truly worship the Lord as I give fully of myself to my family. This is true worship! Laying down everything for the sake of Him who has called me to this place and this season of keeping a home, being a supportive helpmate, and nurturing little ones. This is self-sacrifice. This is a pleasing aroma to Him.

And just as those pumpkin cookies filled my house with the most amazing smell, so can my positive attitude and heart of worship fill my house with the presence and peace of God, spilling out into my husband and children! What a fantastic priviledge and honor to have that responsibility.

Help me, Lord, to always wear the shadow of Your cross upon my apron as I work in my home with selfless love and joy.

Lora

4 comments:

  1. yum lora! looks delicious!! also was looking at your shop today...lookin' good!! :) keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm printing the recipe! I have a can of pumpkin in the pantry I haven't used! And appreciate the encouragement about being a joyful servant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have several cans of pumpkin ~ may have to try the cookies. The apron looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your pumpkin recipe...I, too, have several cans of pumpkin (love pumpkin) and am always in line for a new recipe. The kids will surely delight in helping...also, a blessed reminder of the aroma our attitudes leave in our homes.

    Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin