Sunday, January 3, 2010

fun craft idea - "Jar Oceans"

We had a quiet day today inside by the fire. It is SO COLD outside today! In the teens... brr....

I wanted to do a fun craft for the boys today and had some Modge Podge that I got for a quarter at a garage sale awhile back, so I pulled out some supplies around the house and this is what we came up with!


"Jar Oceans"

Supplies:

Mason jars (I used an old jelly jar for one of them)
Sand, dirt, rocks, etc.. (I got some from our backyard)
Water and food coloring (I used a little bit of green. Blue would work, too)
Seashells (I had some that we collected on our beach trip this past summer)
Plastic fish, penquins, etc... (I just went through our loose toys that we had lying around. Those little fast food kid's meal toys would be perfect, too)
Colored paper for "waves" and jar top (cardstock, construction paper, tissue paper, etc.)
Modge Podge (or you could probably use just glue also). After we glued the waves and name tops on, we also brushed Modge Podge on top of the paper to seal it and protect it.

Here's Benjamin's jar:



And here's Leo's:






We had a blast putting these "jar oceans" together. (Benjamin came up with the name. :) )

Very fun and simple for the kids to do. I had to help them, but it was fun for me, too. Great project on a rainy or cold day.

Just wanted to share!

Lora

7 comments:

  1. Diane7:18 PM

    What a neat idea ! ! ! I love the name...."Jar Oceans"....a great example of creating a fun project without spending a lot and children cherish time spent with Mom much more than going to buy a toy. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! We tried something like this but they didn't turn out very well. Next time I'm trying your way!
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. You truly amaze me with your creativity! Love seeing you gift the world with what God has put inside of you!
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:25 AM

    Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative idea. Too bad my kids are older.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin