Friday, January 22, 2010

decorating on a budget - guest rooms, part two

Here's part two of my post on decorating on a budget. Today's focus will be on my second guest room, affectionately called "The Grandma Room".

Here's the little corner in the hallway right near the door to the room. I've got an antique table there that my husband's grandmother used for many years as a telephone table. She kept her old rotary phone on the top of it and phone books, etc. on the bottom shelves. I haven't figured out what to put on the bottom shelves yet. Any suggestions?

I got this charming little embroidered picture at a garage sale a few years back. It used to hang on the wall of the nursery in our old house. Since the kids' rooms are close to the guest rooms, I thought it would be appropriate to hang on the wall in this little spot. Isn't it cute?

And here is The Grandma Room! I love this room, primarily because it holds so many sweet memories of my grandmothers and my husband's grandmothers. I think its so important to honor those who came before us - remembering the sacrifices they made and the many prayers they prayed for their children and grandchildren.

Clint found this antique mahogany four poster bed at an estate sale soon after we married. We didn't even have a double bed at that time, but he couldn't pass it up. I think he paid about $100 for it. I found this amazing 70's quilt at another estate sale. It was at the bottom of a trunk in a garage. It's amazing to me how the old saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure" is so true! I love the colors in it. The bedside tables were my Nana Marcella's and Clint's Grandmama Gertrude's. The fanastic chartreuse armchair was also Gertrude's. There's also a little ruffled pillow with a pineapple needlepointed on it sitting on the chair. (Pineapple's are the symbol for hospitality.)

My Grandma Evelyn made this cross stitch sampler. I love the words. They totally capture my heart as a hostess.

A great little pom pom pillow in my favorite color to decorate with - gold! I am most definitely a child of the seventies.

Believe it or not, I found this beautiful crocheted blanket at a garage sale for two dollars!

Grandmama Gertrude made this for clint and I as a wedding shower gift. Butterflies hold a special meaning for us in our courtship story. (that's a whole different post to write!)

I picked up this sweet little primitive sampler at Goodwill for just a few dollars. Isn't it cute?


A little corner in the room to sit and put your shoes on. The doily in the frame was crocheted by Clint's great grandmother. This is a wonderful way to display antique linens and handiwork such as this. Frame it and you can admire it all the time, instead of hiding it away in a drawer! The velvet pillow and the little bucket were both found at estate sales.

You can't see in these photos, but all four of our Grandmothers' photographs are proudly displayed in pretty frames in the room. I love to go in there from time to time and just look into their smiling faces, remembering times spent with them or stories I've been told about their lives. Somehow, life's little problems don't seem nearly as big when I think about those that have gone before me. They made it through their difficult times with grace, strength, and a sense of humor, and that gives me the determination to carry on and hold my head high!

Hope this little guest room tour has inspired you a little in your own decorating! I know it's been fun for me!

Have a great weekend!

Lora

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Lora, your two dollar garage sale afghan is beautiful! And, your Grandma room is so sweet. What a wonderful tribute to their memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would love to be a guest in this room. so cozy. great job putting together such a lovely place with meaning and frugality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lora ~

    Your framed doily was a great idea for displaying it as art ~ it was a work of her hands. ;) I am inspired to keep my eye open when thrifting for pieces that can be added to our home and enhance the room's theme. Nice post.

    Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin