Monday, November 23, 2009

self portrait monday

Happy Monday!


Here's my self portrait today (with my little buddy, arms raised in delight...)

Thanks, everyone, for your comments on my last post. The unanimous advice was to incorporate a deep red in the mix in my living room. Here's what I came up with yesterday...

I made a little square pillow in an amazing antique Indian sari fabric. (It used to be a rectangular pillow, but I redid it last night. I think it adds just the right amount of "pop".) I also draped a burgundy fleece blanket over the couch. I realized this morning as I was taking these pictures that I've made four out of the six of these pillows! (and the curtains, too!)

This is Lester's couch, by the way. Isn't he cute?
He loves looking out the windows at the birds in the backyard.

I was going to sell these vintage floral pillowshams,
but decided to keep them and just cover up my existing neutral (boring) pillows... I also draped an olive fleece blanket over the couch.

This is the designated couch for my laundry. I always dump the clean laundry here to be folded. So, it almost doesn't matter what the pillows look like on this one because the couch is usually taken up with clean clothes. Anyway, today they are folded so I took a picture. Ruth is not happy here. She wants me to open the jar of buttons she's holding. She still looks cute though...

I'm not thrilled with the way this couch/pillows look. I am going to search through my fabric to see if I have any better prints to coordinate with what I have here. Any suggestions? Which pillows should stay and which should go? Or should I add more into the mix?

And here's my favorite chair. I got it at the Salvation Army about 12 years ago for $35. It went in my first apartment when I lived alone. I just can't seem to get rid of it! I love this little patchwork pillow. I got it for 25 cents at a garage sale a couple of years ago.
It's all stitched by hand! Love it!


So, there you have it. Splashes of color are now added to my living room. I feel better now.
My goal for this Monday is to enjoy my life. Find joy in the small blessings that I see around me right now. Not wishing for more, not complaining about what I don't have. Just thanking God for what He's already given me.
As I look around me this very minute, I can thank God for:
1. the sounds of my baby boy babbling...
2. my ability to hear the worship music playing in my kitchen
3. watching my little girl play with her brothers' trains
4. the raindrops on my window
5. my full refrigerator
7. my big beautiful kitchen
8. the Bible on my kitchen island
9. working lights and electricity
10. running (clean) water in my sink

What are you thankful for today?


Have a wonderful Thanksgiving week!
Lora

3 comments:

  1. i love the red you added! it looks great. If you wanted to, you could also bring in some light cremes, that would look so pretty too!! The blanket is the perfect touch on the back of the couch.

    Miss you!! Give your kids hugs from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankful for bloggers such as yourself who choose to be joyful!! The red pops out at ya on your couch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your little inspirations in life. In my journal, I pasted a quote from Good Housekeeping a few years ago that says, "A home is not a home without a well-worn chair." You, my dear, have a home! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin