Wednesday, February 4, 2009

speak no evil

I've been under the weather with a cold since Sunday evening. On Sunday afternoon, I went to a mom's group bible study. We were studying the life of Miriam and talked about how she got leprosy after being critical of Moses and had to leave the camp for seven days. I realized during that how powerful and dangerous having a critical spirit can be, especially in my home as a wife and a mother. I repented of that in my life and asked the Lord to help me to not complain, criticize or yell at my kids. Then a few hours later I started feeling yucky. Then a day later, I pretty much lost my voice. So for over two days now, I can hardly speak. If I do try to talk, it hurts. So, my life has been pretty interesting lately.

I'm not saying that God made me sick, but I am saying that He is definitely using this to show me stuff about myself, my parenting, and my role as a wife and friend. I am realizing that I can effectively discipline and instruct my kids without yelling! Wow, what a thought! And I am learning that I talk way too much! I have been forced to listen more and talk less when I am with my husband and my friends. And you know what, things have been sweeter and better. So I guess, as my friend Tess said, I am on an involuntary speech fast. And God is doing a work in me through it! Praise Him for His mysterious ways!
"Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: you must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry." (James 1:19)

Have a blessed day,

Lora

2 comments:

  1. I have been so quick to get angry lately...thank you for this encouragement!

    I do hope you feel better soon, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:25 AM

    Lora,

    It's Joel Knutson here. I 've been wanting to check in with you guys since we saw your comment on Katie's blog after Tessa was born. Anyways, how are things up in Fort Mill and all of that? Just curious what it's been like for you guys moving to the Morningstar area. Send us an email or message of Facebook or something. onethousands@hotmail.com

    Blessings to you guys. The fam is looking good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin