Wednesday, July 9, 2008

summer scenes



Summer's not my favorite season. I don't do heat very well. However, there are certain things about summer that are especially sweet. Here's two pictures that make me smile and make me think about summer:

Here are my boys enjoying icy cold popsicles on a hot day on our screened in porch. They were so happy to slurp up the red and orange treats that made their hands and faces a big mess. I know that years from now, when they are big and tall, they'll remember these summer days as boys. I get kinda weepy just thinking about that. It's really neat to realize that every day I have with my boys now is a memory in the making for them. I pray that I can help create wonderful memories for them that they will look back on with joy and nostalgia.

And here is a picture of one of my favorite quilts on my creaky glider from the 50's that sits on my porch. Many a summer day and night has been spent rocking back and forth on that glider looking out at my backyard. My husband bought it at a garage sale years ago for about $10. It sat on our patio for a couple of years, a big rusty pile of metal. Then, my father-in-law had it sandblasted and painted in the classic 50's green and white. It looks amazing now, but thank God, it still creaks when you rock back and forth. That's my favorite part! And that quilt perfects it, I think! The quilt was also purchased at a garage sale for a few dollars. So much love went into making it. And, it was made out of polyester scraps and fat yarn ties. I love it!

Oh, that reminds me of my absolute favorite thing about summer - garage sales!!! I almost forgot!
So, go enjoy your summer! And let me know what your favorite things are about the season!
Lora

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:14 PM

    Lora.....I just LOVE that guilt. The mixture of colors is so pretty. You got quite a bargain and since you are sewing now, you know how much work went into it.
    Such cute pictures of Benjamin and Leo...I have noticed Benjamin observing Leo in quite a few photos and wonder what he is thinking....we cannot wait to see ya'll ! ! ! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane2:24 PM

    Sorry, Lora....I really do know that quilt is not spelled with a "g".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you're kiddos are so sweet!!! :-) And I'm amazed how professional you are sewing now, Lora! Be blessed, Corina

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your boys and your glider! It is so comfy! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so understand you. Summer is not my favorite season, I loveeeee Fall... But I am glad that you are making memories with your little ones... The grow up so fast...
    Have a good night!
    Say Hi to Clint!
    Hugs,
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I love that quilt. It's called trip around the world. I bought a quilt top so similar to that for my husband and I for our 2nd year anniversary, since it's the year of cotton. I have not finished it, but I am so excited to. I'm more scared though, because I do not want to ruin it. I love it that we share the love of quilting together. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin