Wednesday, December 19, 2007

busing making things





I've been busy making things! Here's pictures of the latest projects.

The first is of a scarf I finished crocheting this afternoon. I love how it turned out. The colors are so rich and warm, just like a sunrise or sunset - thus the name of the scarf on my etsy shop - "Sunrise Sunset" ! That's me, "modeling" the scarf, by the way. My face is not in the picture, because I have no makeup on today and my hair is kinda frizzy. I didn't think that would be a good selling point to those looking online at my website. haha... I've already started a new scarf - fire engine red! Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

The second is of the scarf I crocheted for Corina as her little Hanukkah gift two weeks ago. I found the yarn on clearance at a specialty yarn store. It is so soft -alpaca/merino wool blend. I love it! It turned out super cute - short and sweet - and perfect for Corina! She loves that apple green color.

The third is of the purse I made for Corina as sort of a going away gift. The fabrics are vintage - total 80's - taken from Clint's grandmother's collection I think, or from his mom's - can't remember. Anyway, very cool looking, and once again, perfect for Corina's style. The front is a graphic black and white print. The lining is apple green. I zig zag stitched the top lining seam and the strap. Love that zig zag stitch! I also sewed in a velcro closure so her stuff won't fall out. It really turned out cute, I think, and only took me a couple of hours.

I sold a pair of earrings last week on my shop. Today, the girl who bought them emailed me to thank me and was so appreciative of all the special touches I made in packaging them (ie, pretty wrapping, thank you note, extra freebie, etc.). It really encouraged me! I got to thinking about what makes me happy, when it comes to all this crafting business. And what I realized is that I love to create things with my hands because I love to give! I love to make others smile and bless other people. It's one of the ways that I can express the love of the Lord, the greatest Creator and Giver of all! And most of the time, it really is the littlest things that really mean the most to people. A sincere thank you note, a simple ribbon, even a flowery sticker can really brighten someone's day and make their world happier.

So, my challenge today to all my blog-friends:

Make something today for someone else. It doesn't have to be big, just sincere and from the heart. A "just because you're you" gift! A little note, a bookmark, cookies, a pillow, jewelry, a bag, a little painting, etc.. - whatever you can do, do it with all your heart, and see what happens! You could make a huge difference in someone's life today! And if something cool comes out of it, let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Corina6:14 AM

    hi over there :)

    i visit your blog every day to see if you wrote something new in it. the newest entry is a really good inspiration - thank you :)
    back in switzerland, i realize once more the difference in peoples behaviour... and it's encouraging to read your blog and to remember the friendliness and selflessness that i saw during my time with y'all! and so i try to live like that here too, and to see if people give me a smile back when i smile, and if they say a nice word or a hello back, when i try to make a difference in all these reserved and unfriendly people - thank you for your encouragement!!!
    corina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:52 PM

    I'm so proud of you. You have become the most wonderful, giving person. I love you!
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lora...What an inspiring note! It makes me want to do something or make something for someone. The black and white fabric that you used to make the bag for Corina looks very familiar. I bought that fabric at least 20 years ago and it stayed in my sewing machine drawer all this time...back then I thought I would make a blouse with it. I am so happy to see that you used it to make a bag for a special young lady, Corina. I never imagined the fabric would end up in Switzerland !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corina4:41 PM

    hey, the bag is really really great!!! :) i didn't know that the fabric is 20 years old already, 'cause it looks very modern to me - and i get lots of compliments for that bag!
    thank you diane for the fabric, and thank you lora for sewing it!!! by the way, all people are surprised about the things you made me and they say you're really talented to make so many different things by your own! wow :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin