Tuesday, August 8, 2006

the power of prayer

I saw a really good movie last night (and the night before that!). It is a Israeli movie called "Ushpizin". It is in Hebrew with English subtitles. It is about a modern day Jewish couple who are very poor and do not have any money to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles. The movie shows the power of prayer. It was very inspiring. One of the quotes in the movie that spoke to me was:

"Whenever something is lacking, it is because you did not pray or you did not pray enough."

I realized through this film that my prayer life really needs some improvement. Am I crying out to God for the things in my life that are "lacking"? - and those things aren't always material - they could also be spiritual. Do I press into the Father with unswerving, "never-give-up" prayer? The answer is - not often enough.

Jesus tells us that we should be like little children. When my toddler wants something from me, he asks me until I respond. He does not give up or get discouraged when I say no. He keeps on asking. He always hopes and believes in his heart that if he keeps on asking, I will relent and change my mind. That says something about our attitude to God in prayer. Do we keep on asking, keep on hoping, keep on believing, despite what we see with our eyes? We need to have faith in what we do not see. We need to remember that God IS at work. He is bringing all the elements together to work and act on our behalf and for our good.

Current crafts: a bunch of jewelry! FUN, FUN, FUN!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:24 PM

    Lora,

    I love that you are sharing your heart. I know that even if we are far apart I will be able to know you. Thank you for your encouraging words. You are a blessing.

    Love,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning some ladies and I got together for our Tues. morning fellowship to celebrate our pastor's wife "59th" birthday. The ages ranged from 60 -23 and we talked about "contending" for the perfect will of God in our lives. We realized it is very easy to "tolerate" stuff - aches, pains, illness, fears, etc. - and not do the contending that will release the provision of our Heavenly Father for his kids. Wow! He is speaking it in No. Carolina and Texas and I'll bet all across to Body of Christ - it must be dear to His heart!

    Love, Pat from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat ~
    Thanks so much for your encouragement in the Lord! You are a blessing!
    Lora

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin