Wednesday, August 9, 2006

The Lord's Prayer


I've been making a bunch of jewelry lately. The other day, I made three bracelets and about six pairs of earrings! One of the bracelets looks like this bracelet pictured. I made the one pictured months ago, but I still had some of the same beads left, so I made another one. The main difference is that I used clear spacer beads instead of green and blue spacer beads. I love how it turned out! So pretty! (Maybe I'll keep it for myself...) If anyone's interested in it, let me know. I'll give you a special price! :) It feels good to make something with my hands again. I've been so consumed with this house-selling, moving thing that I haven't really made any time to be creative. And I've realized that it's important for me to make time to do that. It helps me relax and take my mind off things, even if it's just for a half hour.

My aunt recently gave me some beautiful prayer beads and bracelets that she got on her trip to Europe. She thought I could take them apart and use the beads for something. I was looking at them the other day and picked up one of the prayer beads. It looks like an oversized beaded bracelet on a silver chain. The beautiful turquoise beads and engraved silver spacer beads slide around on the chain. I think it's Greek Orthodox. Anyway, I decided to adapt its use for my own personal prayer time. It has just the right amount of beads on it to pray the Lord's Prayer, line by line. I've used it twice now, each night as I lay in bed. I hold one bead and pray each line, embellishing my prayer to God. For example, the first bead ~ I pray "Our Father", then thank God for being my Father. Then, I go on to the next bead: "Who art in heaven", then I thank God that His ways are higher than my ways, His thoughts are higher than my thoughts... And so on... It has been surprisingly helpful in my prayer time with the Lord. It's just a tangible way to focus on praying and guide me in meditating on the Word. You know, the Lord's Prayer is really powerful. (I guess that's why Jesus told us to pray that way! :) ) I am glad to be praying it everyday now.

"Our Father, who art in heaven.
Hallowed by Thy name
Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us
Lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil
For Thine is the kingdom,
And the power, and the glory
Forever and ever.
Amen."

Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

  1. I really agree with the comments about it being a good way to pray what is after all about the most scriptural prayer out. You might find this site has some helpful ideas in the links and content for taking the idea further forward. Basically it's a way to use the pattern of the Lord's prayer rather as you describe in this posting but using a rosary-style cord and with various verses or passages of scripture relating to the different phases of the Lord's prayer. Be good to get your feed back.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin