Thursday, June 8, 2006

beauty in imperfection


A couple of weekends ago, I bought some really great vintage beads at an estate sale. I promised the sweet older lady who sold me the beads (at a great bargain price) that I would make her a necklace out of some of the beads to thank her. This morning, I made a really pretty and unusual necklace for her. I used only white beads. The beads, which were varied shades of white, were all different shapes and sizes. I was tempted to make it symmetrical and use a bead pattern, but I got crazy and strung them pretty randomly. (That kind of thing is very hard for me to do!) The result, though, turned out really pretty, I think. It's an extremely long necklace - I wanted to make sure that she could just slip it over her head without having to mess with the clasp. I sure hope she likes it as much as I enjoyed making it.

God showed me through making this necklace that I can get too caught up in making things "perfect". Looking at the necklace, I realized that its imperfections and random pattern are what make it beautiful. The same is true about people. All of us are unique. All of us are human and make mistakes. We have freckles and pimples and wrinkles and gray hairs. We sometimes say the wrong thing or our voices crack when we sing a song. But all those things are what make us real (and keep us humble!)

So, why the picture of Mother Theresa? Several years ago a friend of mine said that he thought she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. She had lots of wrinkles and gray hair, but what stood out was her heart. Her beauty was in her selfless service to the poor and needy.

Lord, help me to remember to love others, imperfections and all. Help me to look beyond the outward apperance and into the heart. Help me to be understanding and forgiving when others hurt me. Help me to realize that we are all in need of Your grace!

"But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." ~II Corinthians 12:9

Current crafts: White beaded necklace, Crocheted baby blanket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin